• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help wild baby bunny found!

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
It's been a while since i posted here but i need your help!!

My boyfriends work friend found a bunny at the side of the road where he lives last night, he said it couldn't walk properly and had maybe been hit by a car.
He didn't know what to do so he rang my bf cause he knew we had a rabbit :)

Anyway he didn't know if to release it back to where the other rabbits were or to take it home or to kill it :censored:

As you can imagine i told him NOT to kill it, he wouldn't take it to the vets as it was late, and tbh he doesn't have the money for it...
So i said if it survived the night to bring it in to work and i would go pick it up and see what i could do.

So i have 2 worries....

1) My rabbit has been vaccinated against Myxi recently, but NOT VHD because the last time he had it done he almost died so i am worried if this little bunny had either or they might pass it on to mine. So i will keep them apart but how careful do i have to be??

2) The guy said the bunny is about 6 inches long, so not sure how old it is, hopefully it will eat hay, otherwise any advice about what to do would be great!!

Anyway i will have to wait for the call if i get it, and take things from there, of course i will be taking it to the vets if it seems injured to check it.

Just any advice from anyone would be great of any kind!!

Hi,

Sorry I don't really have any advice as I have never dealt with baby wildies before, just wanted to bump up this thread and hopefully someone with some experience will spot it.

I do know VHD can be carried on your clothes/shoes though so I would suggest a complete change of clothes when handling the wildie and obviously scrub you hands etc before being in contact with your own buns.

Hope the little 'un is ok. Let us know how you get on. Like I say hopefully someone with a bit of experience will be along soon...

Vic x

I'm too used to saving wild bunnies :)
Have you got a picture? Usually bunnies will die of shock or delayed shock.
My best advise would to be take the rabbit to the vets to see if it has broken any bones, how is he holding himself? I once rescued a rabbit who just had spinal injuries which he could over come but he sadly died of shock, so if you think he's not broken anything and he's all perky keep him for a few days and try and rehabillitate him because he wont be allowed back into the wild. He'll have to be rehomed as a pet.

IMPORTANT ADVICE:

When at the vets be very persistent and strong. ( Siona taught me this )
Say how you will rehabilitate it and rehome it as a pet. Keep saying it and if they're not sure try and convince them because some vets can be scraggy and cant be bothered as it costs them money. They'll probably give it some anti-inflamitories and anti-biotics.

Good luck at the vets

No idea about the wildie bunny, sorry, but nice to see you online!!!!

Can't believe your Kaylee is 2 now!!! Hope you, family and the lovely Skip are ok. XX

Back