• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my hutch big enough?

KathyT

Warren Scout
As broken-hearted as I am after little Nibbler passed away, I really don't want Tibbs to be on her own for too long. She is so sad without him and everything I read says it's cruel to keep such sociable animals alone. There don't seem to be any babies on the horizon either (phew!) - the nest is gone and she doesn't have big nipples any more.

But I want to make absolutely sure that the hutch is big enough for two bunnies first. It is 125cm wide by 100cm long by 100cm high. There is an upstairs for sleeping and feeding, and a downstairs run area.

My work computer doesn't let me upload photos unfortunately, but how do the dimensions sound?

For two small/medium rabbits the smallest size I'd recommend is a 6' x 2' hutch with a minimum 6' x 6' permanent run attached.

Good accommodation for your rabbit is the best investment to make for them.
Rabbits that have room to move, stretch, jump, run are generally healthier than rabbits kept in small accommodation.
Whatever you spend on good living quaters you will save in future vets bills IMO

I agree with the above - particularly if the hutch is only 45cm deep, most of the floor space is taken up with the stairwell, so it would barely be big enough for one rabbit in fact - you must have a 60cm deep hutch, and I wouldn't have a pair in one smaller than a 2x6 double - If you search on 'massive hutch' on ebay, there's one there for about £130 which is a real bargain :)

I agree

I agree with what you have already been told. We only re-home to an area of not less than 50square feet total for two small to medium bunnies up to 2.5 kg each.

It goes without saying this area must include a well constructed hutch that provides adequate insulation in the winter with attached run and both must be safe and secure from preditors getting in and the buns getting out.

Can I finally comment that the traditional hutch and attached low run is perhaps one of the worst ways of providing accommodation for your buns and there are much better ways involving old greenhouses(with the glass replaced by mesh), sheds and aviaries that will allow you to get in and sit down with your bunnies ,keep them dry and generally let you have a much easier time of it when it comes to changing and inter-reacting.This is especially important when children are involved.

Please do'nt shoot the messenger:(

I bought a happyhutch from ebay £130 6ftx2 with a 4ftx6ft underneath, my buns love it!! I also have a seperate 8ft x 6ft run on the grass. Bunnies need alot of room, bigger the better i say :D

umm, 100cm x 125cm is a larger area than a 6' x 2' hutch ;)

100cm x 125cm = 1.25 square meters

6'x2' = 182 cm x 60 cm = 1.09 square metres

It's only 3" off the equivalent of a 7'x2' hutch.

So yes, it sounds an excellent size, particularly if it has two levels :) You would want a larger run (or secure area) to go with it though so they've got flat space to run about full speed :)

Tam

100cm is the same I beleive as 1 metre which is just over 3ft isn't it, so the hutch is 3 foot long by 3 foot high (if it is 100cm long x 100cm high)which means each tier is only 1.5 foot or 18 inches in head height on each tier, which would be small for one rabbit let alone 2:?

125cm wide by 100cm long by 100cm high.

I read that as 125cm x 100cm so it's fairly square - then 100cm high. That makes each level 100cm x 125cm by 50cm high.

In feet that's 4'2" W x 3'4" L x 1' 8" high.

That's only 4" off 2' high and each level is the equivalent of a 6'x2' hutch. Just square instead of long and thin.

Tam

This is the one I have from Happy Hutch on Ebay. The 6 ft ones. Two buns live in it.

EMhouse1.jpg

Rabswood

Thanks everyone. OH has set to work enlarging it a little bit just to be on the safe side. Nibbler and Tibbler used to share a 8ft run on the grass in the orchard every day when it wasn't raining (actually an old chicken ark with a sheltered end - Alf the chicken was quite put out to find someone else using his former home) so I'm not overly worried about them not having too much space outside.

RSPCArabbits - I would never have shot the messenger, I appreciate your input. I can assure you that it's a well constructed hut in a sheltered spot, and the predators (who are mostly four-legged, ginger and purr) have learned very quickly not to mess with my bunnies! I would love an old shed or something to convert, but there's nothing really suitable unfortunately. And Tibbler and I sit down and share a carrot in the yard on a regular basis!

Big thanks to Tamsin, maths was never my strong point either! I have an appointment next week at the local shelter to see bunnies, so fingers crossed.

Back