• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training & Treats

neilp83

Young Bun
Hi, I have a 9 week old mini lop and am attempting to house/toilet train him.

Most people seem to advise giving him treats when he uses his tray (and also for other things like helping him come to you rather than chasing him around). The problem is that he isn't getting any veg yet so I'm not sure what to give him as a treat. Is there something else I can give him instead of veg that he will take as a treat? Or is it ok to give him veg now?

Thanks for your help again

Hiya,

My recommendation is to weigh out his daily dry food ration and then use that as the treat. That way you can hand feed him which will form a good bond and you can use them to teach him things like coming when called.

As long as he has hay 24/7 (which rabbits should have anyway) then that will also teach him good eating habits eg lots of hay!

Have you had him long? If he hasn't had veg before give him a week or so to settle in and then introduce it gradually starting with a few bites at a time :)

Tam

Thanks Tam.

I have only had him a week. He seems to be doing well, binkying regularly and occasionally grinding his teeth. Though he has had lots of attention!

He has had an unlimited supply of hay and has been munching away quite happily.

I will try hand feeding him today to see how that goes.

Also he doesn't seem to drink water unless he is in his hutch. Do you know why this might be? He drinks from a bottle when he is in there no problem. I have tried with different bottles, and have tried moving the one from his hutch out with no joy.

He is definitely thirsty though as when I put him back in he goes at his water bottle for ages.

JackSmall.jpg

putting all his hay so he can munch it in the litter tray is good. They do like to much and poo at the same time. You can either put it in a bowl next to it or in a rack above or some people just put it in the actual tray.

pets at home[and other pet shops]do a lovely range called Naturals and they do good treats which are healthy for buns.B loves the carrot shaped little treats which are a handy size to use when training.I use them to bribe her to go in her cage at night.All i have to do now is rattle the tin and she jumps in straight away!!

You could try a bowl for inside - the heavy ceramic ones they sell for dogs/cats are good as they are hard to tip over.

Tam

Back