• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please calm my nerves

Littlebun

New Kit
Hi all.

I found this site while searching rabbit links online. Nice to meet you all. I have a little 9 month old Mini-Rex that we just got neutered last week. After we brought him home, he didn't eat right away, but after a few hours got his appetite back.

So later in the week, we noticed his the area where he had the surgery was purple. At first it seemed like it was that way because it was right after the surgery, but it looked like one testicle was still there. Big and purple. About the size of a bean.

So we took him back to the vet and they said it might be a hernia, and to bring him back first thing in the morning when the doctor was there.

I am starting to worry about both my little BunBun, and the vet that we take him to.

First off, before his neuter, the receptionist advised us to not feed him after 10. So my poor little bunny went a good 9 hours or so without food or water until I found out online that it was wrong. Of course they said "yeah, she's new she shouldn't have said that."

Now I am finding out if something is wrong with my bunny, I will have to pay more (not that I have a problem with it or anything) to fix it. It seems like they didn't do what they were supposed to do, and now I have to pay for that?

Little BunBun seems fine, he is running around and having fun, chewing paper, playing with his toys, all his normal habits.

I am just worried sick when I heard about a hernia....please help me calm down :(

Hiya,

You should mention what the receptionist told you to the vet. Sometimes it's a case of them not passing on the right information. It is worrying though that advice like that is still given out for rabbits!

A hernia is when the internal organs poke out through the muscle - you might have heard of umbilical hernias. I would think it's fairly unlikely that he has a hernia.

It's more uncommon for them to get bruising/swelling afterwards. Sometimes a haematoma - like a big bruise. It can make it look like the testicle is still there. The usual treatment would be an anti-inflammatory and painkillers. The swelling would then go down gradually.

If you're not happy with what the vet says after you see him tomorrow eg he recommends an op and your not convinced that the right solution or he's experienced enough with rabbits then you can always get a second opinion :)

Tam

I took him to see another vet today and he said it looked like a fatty deposit of sorts. I guess they need to operate again, but he said he wouldn't charge me and my bun should be fine :)

I get to pick him up in 6 hours or so.

Took him home today around 5. He wasn't as sleepy as before, he's running around and being himself. The vet said it was most likely a blood bubble and not a hernia.

I noticed his poop was kind of mushy, looked like little chocolate chips as opposed to the normal Cocca Puff looking poops.

Is this normal?

Hi,

I have to say i I were you I would consider changing vet for the future. If your bunny had a haematoma then it would be fairly obvious, and it is worrying that they then admitted him for a further op that he wouldn't have needed :?

Are the droppings you describe like little bunches of grapes?

:wave: would say the poos are the result of everything that has gone on through. he should be fine in a day or 2. as for not feeding before op that rubbish my vets ahve never said that and when i asked them they said rabbits can be fed right up to the time they leave to go to vets. i would change vets. hope he is a lot better.

Back