• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it better to get a pair of rabbits...

If you're looking to start a new rabbit "family" then I would recommend adopting a pair from a rescue. Pairs are often in rescues longer than single buns but are just as needy of loving homes. The other plus with a pair is that you won't have to go through the possible traumas of bonding :)

If you say whereabouts in the country you are there may be a rescue on here that is local to you and could talk to you about the pairs they have. Alternatively start looking at www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

Good luck! x

Thats kind of a 'how long is a piece of string question'. All depends how old the bun your getting is. Whether you want to get a ready bonded pair from a rescue or whether you have your heart set on a breed.

I'd have to agree with the above posts.

Having worked in a rescue for quite a while, it was always the pairs or groups of bunnies that were overlooked. Often people came in to find their existing bunny a friend when they had found out that it was better to keep more than one or when their existing bun was bereaved.

People coming to rabbits for the first time are less likely to go to a rescue in the first place, therefore it's unlikely that the pairs will go out as often. (Having said that when I was new to rabbits I adopted a pair and then my second adoption was also a pair, and then the third - you get the idea).

The problem with getting a single bun and then trying to bond is that your bunny will decide if and when they want to accept a friend and it can take a long time before it gets sorted. You would also then need to rely on a rescue with some experience to bond for you because if you just get another rabbit and hope it works out, you could end up with two bunnies that don't like each other, and then you'd need to find two more friends, not just one.

If you can take a pair, you will see what their personalities are like together, which has to be a plus, and you will be making a massive difference to their lives.

Helen

I would say definitely get a pair if you can. I got Bella and then later Tarquin and although they're eventually bonded it was nerve-wracking and I don't think I could go through that again - much easier to get a ready-made pair :D

I had joey for a few months and decided to get him a gf, its so lovely to see them all loved up and happy :D Id def say get a bonded pair from a rescue :)

Thanks for all that info, really helpful, just trying to make sure I have a good idea about these things before I get my rabbits. I'm so excited I haven't had them for about 5 years now and I now I am speaking to a rescue about some little lionheads that are coming in soon and it's ALL I'm thinking about. (as in struggling to do my work today and not look at hutches- whoops:))
Really appreciate all the advice, and sorry for asking loads of questions. x

Back