• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it fair on either of them?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
My two bunnies (both neutered) have lived together forever. It has never been a loving relationship. More of a tolerance. I am seriously doubting whether I should leave them together... I will explain.

Twinkle has always been a very nervous bunny and her bottom is forever mucky. She has been through all the medical/food ideas and still has mucky bum. I think it might be stress related.

Pickle is a bit of a bully. He guards the run so she is not allowed in it and chases her. She looks quite scared of him. I find lumps of her fur in the hutch (last time being just now). There has never been blood or bites. Anytime he goes near he she runs to the corner of the hutch.

Very, very occasionally I might see a few seconds grooming of either bunny but that is all the affection I see.

What would you do? Separate or keep together for convenience?

If I separate I could half the hutch and have a wire partition so they could still see each other but Twinkle might feel safer?

I often think about that with my two girlies... They dont lie together much and have the occasional groom but thats it... NOt to the extent like your bunnies but enought o make you think...
thought i would say that you are not the only one with this dilemma!

Just think if you do seperate them you can have more buns!:D Seriously though if one isnt having a good time then i would seperate IMHO

Last edited:
I think it could be worth a try. Might improve life for them both. It's a difficult one though, isn't it?

You could separate them on on a trial basis; like maybe for a month split the hutch & run, and see how each gets on, they'll either miss each other & pine, or they'll get on much better.

You've just described the relationship one of my pairs Jack & Poppy had.
I decided that it wasn't fair on either of them so I split them up and set about finding them new partners. Poppy now lives with Harry and after a bit of a bumpy start - I had to rebond them :roll: they are madly in love! Harry follows Poppy round like a little puppy :lol: and they're always laying together even when it's too hot to be :D

Jack was a lot harder to bond with a new partner but luckily Emily bun came along and being an ARC bunny the wonderful Janice managed to bond her and Jack. They're not as lovey dovey as Harry and Poppy, but that was never gonna happen with Jack. They do spend alot of time together, lots of grooming and will even share the same greens leaf (anyone that's met Jack knows for that to happen it must be love!) They seem to be very happy together :D

I definately made the right choice for my bunnies.

Personally I'd try them separate. I don't think an unhappy union is fair one the one that feels intimidated all the time, and stress could be the cause of her dirty bum problems.

definately seperate.. its not fair to force rabbits who dont like each other to stay together... i just think how id feel having to share my life with people i dont like :shock::shock::shock:

just look how happy theas bobbin is now hes got the right wife :love: :love:

This is why my Buu and Beau dont live together :) I was not completely comfortable with their relationship and didnt want to risk anything happening while I was not around x

At the moment they are living in an eight foot long hutch (two four feet hutches joined). I could keep them joined but put wire panel up so they can see each other but not interact. I would have to sort the run out as it wont be fair keeping it at one end so might have to halve the size Pickle will have and make a run for Twinkle at the opposite end.

To be honest both my single buns seem happy enough, and they live outside :) Their runs are next to each other so they can see each other. They often play together under supervision and do get on ok while im there watching x

I might try putting a wire panel to separate them in the hutch? And have a run at either end for them each - it will be smaller accommodation than they are used to, but bearing in mind Twinkle doesnt get in the run at all at the moment and is confined inside due to Pickle's territorial issues I dont think this is a bad compromise.

Hmmm lots to think about - its a sad day when you have to separate (especially as there have been no viscious fights) but I know what it was like living with my now ex before I divorced him, and wouldnt wish that on any bun!

Back