• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caecotrophs

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
I keep finding caecotrophs in my bunnies hutch we only got them on saturday and I have been changing over there feed from rabbit royale (i think)to science selectives but they seem to really like the taste of the science selectives and have been leaving the other pellets I'm worried they are going to get ill and also how can I tell if they have sticky bums they don't like being picked up do I need to just do it to check - they don't have the runs or anything should I be worried and what should I do ?

The uneaten caecotrophs may be caused by too many pellets - how much are you giving them?

All buns are different and different pellets will not always suit a particular bunny.

All of mine are fine on Science but I only give an egg cup per bunny each day - doesn't sound a lot but it's enough. They then eat more hay and that helps to prevent sticky bottoms. I have also started to give a few Allen and Page in with the Science as it has more fibre. They don't like it as much but it all gets eaten in the end because they know that's all they are going to get.

It could also be caused by too many veg - in particular greens.

Dependent on what amount you are feeding already, I would cut down slightly on the amount of pellets (but not stop altogether - this can cause a problem in it's self) and maybe change gradually what veg you are giving.

It is really important to check bottoms at least daily in this weather so I would really find a way to have a look. If your bunnies won't tolerate being picked up, is there any way you can sit on the floor and just lift their front legs of the ground leaving them grounded, or in the worst case scenario get them lying on the floor and look from the other end by lifting up their scut.

It's really worth finding a way that they will accept as flystrike is just waiting to happen in buns that have sticky bums.

Helen :D

thanks they are only young

The uneaten caecotrophs may be caused by too many pellets - how much are you giving them?

All buns are different and different pellets will not always suit a particular bunny.

All of mine are fine on Science but I only give an egg cup per bunny each day - doesn't sound a lot but it's enough. They then eat more hay and that helps to prevent sticky bottoms. I have also started to give a few Allen and Page in with the Science as it has more fibre. They don't like it as much but it all gets eaten in the end because they know that's all they are going to get.

It could also be caused by too many veg - in particular greens.

Dependent on what amount you are feeding already, I would cut down slightly on the amount of pellets (but not stop altogether - this can cause a problem in it's self) and maybe change gradually what veg you are giving.

It is really important to check bottoms at least daily in this weather so I would really find a way to have a look. If your bunnies won't tolerate being picked up, is there any way you can sit on the floor and just lift their front legs of the ground leaving them grounded, or in the worst case scenario get them lying on the floor and look from the other end by lifting up their scut.

It's really worth finding a way that they will accept as flystrike is just waiting to happen in buns that have sticky bums.

Helen :D

10 weeks old I thought they were supposed to have unlimited pellets is that wrong :oops:I've not introduced any greens or veg yet and they do seem to be eating a lot of the Hay should I still cut back on the pellets even at this age? I will try and get a look at their bums now!

When I took my bun to the vet I said I hadn't given given greens or veg yet adn was told unlimited pellets too. She said she'd give Suparabbit pellets cos Smudge was selective feeding on the museli type and that there is NO reason why he couldn't have grass, greens, veg etc but to go very slowly and introduce one thing at a time and a tinny amount. She said "He is a rabbit and that's what rabbits eat in the wild" So I slowly changed over and he is doing great! (Though I still give a handful of pellets in the morning and a handful at night) He also has unlimited hay - he just doesn't like it - prefers grass. Good luck with yours.

take out the pellets completely for a day so they are just eating hay alone. Slowly reintroduce science selective, giving them about a level tablespoon a day for the first couple of days and then work your way up to about an egg cup full each twice a day. Most buns are too piggy to be fed unlimitted pellets even at that young stage. Once you start adding veg reduce the pellets to one egg cup ful.

10 weeks old I thought they were supposed to have unlimited pellets is that wrong :oops:I've not introduced any greens or veg yet and they do seem to be eating a lot of the Hay should I still cut back on the pellets even at this age? I will try and get a look at their bums now!

Unlimited pellets is a falacy, this thread explains about good nutrition and why unlimited pellets sets a precedent for longer term problems in some rabbits http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88586&highlight=unlimited.

Most rabbits will eat as many pellets as you will give them .......

Thanks for all the replys everyone

out go the pellets for a day and I will limit them from now on - they do love their hay though western timothy from dust free hay they love the brushy bits should I give it a couple of weeks before introducing veg do you think?

they are at the prime age for dying from stomach upsets, so I would leave their diet exactly as it was when you bought them, and not make any changes or additions to it (except unlimited hay) for at least a month while they settle in with you.

Yikes

they are at the prime age for dying from stomach upsets, so I would leave their diet exactly as it was when you bought them, and not make any changes or additions to it (except unlimited hay) for at least a month while they settle in with you.

thank you will leave them a while as they are then no veggies!

Back