• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight gain and how to do it....

Rambo is doing SO well!! His poos are near enuff normal shape and are becoming more firm. :D

The only problem now, is he is SO skinny, he's a bag of bones, bless him. :(

What is the healthiest way to get him to put on weight? Would excel junior pellets be good for him at this stage?

I've never had a skinny bun, so REALLY don't have a clue as to what to do now.

I don't want to give him porridge oats, as I feel this wont do him any good, with getting over stasis. :?

H xx

I use Excel Junior & ReadyGrass for my skinny buns. Im so, so pleased to hear Rambo is feeling better :D:D:D

A Breeder/grower Pellet Feed would be good

I use the A+P ones

http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/RABBIT_PELLETS.html

Slowly introducing some Readigrass may help as it has a reasonably high protein content

http://www.petshopping.co.uk/index.html?action=detail&maincatID=0&catID=&prodID=6259&brandID=

Janex :)

Eeeeek!! Does it come in smaller bags?! 20kg!! It'd take him a year to get through that!
It's cheap though.

Can u get smaller readigrass as well?!!? They are huge!!!! :shock:

H xx

Eeeeek!! Does it come in smaller bags?! 20kg!! It'd take him a year to get through that!
It's cheap though.

Can u get smaller readigrass as well?!!? They are huge!!!! :shock:

H xx

Sadly I dont think the Pellets come in smaller bags. I am so used to buying in bulk!!

If you know of anyone with a Horse they may have a small amount of Readigrass you could have. There are Small Animal Grass Forages but I am not sure of their nutritional contents as I never use them. Its cheaper for me to buy the large sacks!!

Janex

Sadly I dont think the Pellets come in smaller bags. I am so used to buying in bulk!!

If you know of anyone with a Horse they may have a small amount of Readigrass you could have. There are Small Animal Grass Forages but I am not sure of their nutritional contents as I never use them. Its cheaper for me to buy the large sacks!!

Janex

Ok, Thanks Jane, If thats all I can do then I'll have to do it!!

Also, thanks Sooz :D

You can get smaller bags of ReadyGrass....I think I got mine from GJW Titmuss but I know The Hay Experts also sell them.

I know breeders use rabbit royale for condition and growing up babies might be worthwhile trying that and it comes in small bags. Only prob is its a mix but all the same might be worth a go?:D

I *think* have a little bag of excel junior if you want it...? its only like a few hundred grams or something so it wouldnt last long but i got given it free with something else and dont use it.

Back