• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge not eating and shivering

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
:( Please someone help. My 9mth old mini lop, Fudge, has stopped eating, drinking, hasn't pooed and every now and then shivers (ever since teatime last night). Took him to the vets this morning and she gave him 2 injections metoclopramide and Baytril and told me to buy some fruit juice or baby food to encourage him to eat. Just wish he could tell me what's wrong but he just doesn't look right. He just turns his back and flops down, not even interested in coming out of his hutch. Any one else tried baby food to encourage their buns to eat - what did you try? If he's no better tomorrow I have to take him back. Had the injections at 9.00am this morning but still no poos yet - does it take time? As you can tell I'm a new bunny mummy and have only had my two boys since October. I love them dearly! Just can't think what could be wrong, feedwise he has pellets in the morning then just a continuous supply of hay and he goes in the garden to feed on the grass. Thank you so much for any advice.

Did your vet give Fudge any painkiller? rabbits often become anorexic when they are in pain and this in turn results in them developing stasis. Is he grinding his teeth at all?

Try to keep Fudge as warm as possible by bringing him inside and offering a snuggle safe or hot water bottle in a towel if he is shivering and encourage him to drink plenty of warm water and eat hay if at all possible. Herbs/shredded spring greens can also tempt rabbits to eat and it is far better if they start to eat of their own accord.

Did your vet give you any Science Recovery or Critical Care Formula or a syringe?

Fudge Not eating

Hi yes she gave me some syringes and he is suckling fruit juice and water ok but not interested in the hay we are offering. She only gave him the two injections I mentioned which I don't think were painkillers. We are going to bring him in tonight - just don't want his brother fretting if he misses him. Thanks Kaz

Firstly, dont give him fruit juice, it's too high in sugar and can upset the gut flora balance exacerbating problems further. Syringe him warm water regularly to help keep his gut ingesta moist and lubricated so it's easier to pass.

Secondly I would bring him in now so you can keep an eye on him and watch if he eats, drinks or poo's. Also do NOT split him from his brother.....rabbits tend to pine when they are apart which will cause further stress, it's a fact sick rabbits recover better with their bonded partner. Furthermore male to male bonds are very fickle and break down easily. By splitting them you may never get them back together again.

Thirdly, Your vet should have given you a painkiller, either oral Metacam or an injection such as Vetergesic. If i were in your position I would call the vets to request painrelief.

Did the vet mention Bloat or GI Stasis to you?

Back