• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run of the garden

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
does anybody let their rabbits have a run round the garden (supervised of course) is this a good idea or not they do have a 5ft by 4ft run attached to the hutch plus they are only babies at the moment 10 weeks or would another bigger run on the grass be a better option ?

I would probably buy one or two of those metal panel runs, so that you can supervise over a large area but you know they are still fairly safe, if that makes sense.

If you have a large garden or one with lots of gaps/places to hide (like me), it's probably not a good idea to let them have the run of the garden, even supervised.

mine run round the whole garden under supervision but its not a very big garden. I need to find something better than that green plastic mesh tho to stop Minstrel eating all my plants :roll:

my garden is a bout 50ft long, and fully enclosed. I do let mine have the whole garden to run in, but only when I'm around - in case they find a way to escape or a cat gets in.

I do think that mine are at their happiest when they have the freedom of the garden they do amazingly high jumps as they binky about which they don't do in the run. Just have to keep them away from the veggie patch!

my garden is a bout 50ft long, and fully enclosed. I do let mine have the whole garden to run in, but only when I'm around - in case they find a way to escape or a cat gets in.

I do think that mine are at their happiest when they have the freedom of the garden they do amazingly high jumps as they binky about which they don't do in the run. Just have to keep them away from the veggie patch!

Mine's about the same length, I have too many nooks and crannies for them to hide in! I have a huge run for them though when I'm around, big enough to blow off some steam but keeps them away from the big hedges and shrubs.

does anybody let their rabbits have a run round the garden (supervised of course) is this a good idea or not they do have a 5ft by 4ft run attached to the hutch plus they are only babies at the moment 10 weeks or would another bigger run on the grass be a better option ?

I do :wave:. They way I work it is this: The bunnies live in a runs which have hutches and catflaps so they can come and go as they please. The runs are secure and roofed against rain etc. But I also let them out into the main garden which is basically just a meadow. I have high fencing all round the garden but as an added precaution I buried wire underground at the fence and tacked the rest to the actuall fence to keep the buns digging out. I try and let them out 3 times a day for an house each. I always supervise them, I hang up washing or do some craft work outdoors. Its great bonding time too. I have 4 pairs so I can only let 2 out at a time (garden is split in half) but its great. The bunnies seem to need it too. They binky and dig and graze and zoom around at top speed. They look forward to their daily run.

As long as your garden is completely secure than I'd reccomend letting them have a daily run.

Mine do too. Obviously its a little more difficult now I have two unbonded males but one goes into the run while the other one has free range and then after a few hours they swap. Its amazing to see your bun really running, legs at full pelt. Dylan has the funniest back legs as well and its a real treat to see him pelting down the garden.

Again the garden is about 50ft long and 14ft wide. I have had to bunny proof everywhere and plants in the back just don't happen :lol: whilst it was a nightmare I am happy they can't get out now.

Sometimes I separate the garden in half and let them have half each which again works well. They both come to their names and go into their hutches on demand :D

Back