• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Helpppppp !!

Pablo99

New Kit
Hi I am new.

I have a nursing mother who seems to be going downhill.
very lethargic with three 5 week olds to look after.
She is quite cold and laying down, not active at all.
I have noticed she has been drinking lots but put that down to nursing.
I have seperated her from the little ones and given her some water
via a Lactose bottle but wondered if there was anything else I could do before the vets.

Thanks

Paul

Keep her warm and hydrated but get her to the vets ASAP. Giver her warm water to drink and offer her either a snuggle safe, heat mat or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Does she have any other symptoms, weightloss, excessive urination?

How are the babies?

off to the vets

Hi,

All her functions appear normal but I am not sure if she is 'doing' more.
She is at the vets now so hopefully its something simple.
Should i supplement the babies with lactol now mum is away.??
They are happily hopping around the cage at the moment.

Thanks

Paul

Has Mum fed them today? Have they started to nibble at solids yet?

I do hope Mum will be OK :cry:

Hi,
They appear to be eating quite happily on their own but not sure if mum has been feeding them at all. She may have stopped producing milk as a result of her illness.
The vet has her on sugar water and steroids. Quite poorly but not giving up hope.
P

I hope she gets better soon.

Sooz - does this sound like FRS to you? Or some kind of calcium deficiency?

It dosn't sound like either to me. The symptoms are very distinctive and set in rapidly.

I was wondering if it was EC releated actually but there isn't really enough information to know for sure.

At least she is with the vets.

The vet has given her an antiparasite. (panacur) i think.
He is baffled by the rapid onset and what appears to be normal body function.
She was totally unresponsive physically but did take some fluids.
Waiting for a call from the vets this morning.
Babies are eating and drinking on their own
Fingers crossed.

P

Bad News

Unfortunately the bunny has had to be put down.
Although she rallied a bit last night she was going downhill rapidly.
The vet thinks that she had a bacterial inbalance in the gut which has caused toxic shock within her system.
i just hope her babies will be ok, I am getting some probiotic for them
this afternoon.
:(

Oh that is such a shame bless her :cry::cry: The EC that I talked about is treated by Panacur so your vet obviously had his concerns too.

I would recommend worming the babies when they are older as a precaution.

Good Luck with the handrearing, it can be so, so heartbreaking to do. :(

Orphaned at 4 1/2 weeks.

Hi
The babies are eating and drinking on their own now. Does anyone have any advice. ???

THanks

Paul

Last edited:
Technically the babies will be fine as of now since they are eating for themselves. Any feeding they would be doing from mum as of now would have been supplementary. They can usually cope being away from mum from four weeks onwards....
Removing them this early is more of an ethical issue. Obviously in cases like this there is no choice and the thing you have to be careful of are digestive disorders. It may help to give a probiotic at this stage and I would not have thought supplementary feeding of lactol would be needed at this point. In the wild lots of bunnies are weaned this young as their mother will usually give birth to another litter.

Back