• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit poo issues

MaisieBlue

New Kit
Recently my rabbit has been making noises, at first I didn't know why but then after the noise it seems to smell, so I assume trumping? Recently there have been a lot of soft poo's, on occasion they have got soft and we would stop the carrot, or grass etc..
But the poo's hasn't stopped being sloppy for a few days now, she doesn't seem to eat as much hay.. her water intake is fine though...

any pointers? shes about 12 weeks old now..

How did you introduce her to green food?
When you say sloppy do you mean sticky and underformed or actual liquid?
Is she a good hay eater?

The poo is very large compared to her usual poos (about 3 or more times the size) its soft but not sticky and not liquid at all.
She eats a rabbit mix and eats a third of a carrot a day and sometimes a little broccoli. The breeder we got her from intoduced her to the fresh food before we got her (we got her at 8 weeks) shes usually quite good at eating hay but is very picky about the bits she eats and only eats it if it's really fresh.
Is it normal for rabbits to trump?!

I've never had a 'farting' rabbit before but I do believe it is supposed to be possible for them to pass wind...

My personal opinion would be to put her onto hay & water only until her stools return to normal, get some fiberplex to be given 3 times daily for 3 days to help stabilise her tummy and then look to introduce her to a pellet such as SS (I would avoide Excel as it is known to cause problems with excess ceacal poo's) and then slowly and carefully reintroduce greens.....one variety at a time. Broccolli and cabbage are quite bad for causing issue's with gas in sensitive bunnies.

Also as her hay consumption has slowed, in addition to the above, I would get her a quick MOT at the vets to check her teeth. Rabbits with dental problems often decrease their hay consumption and have problems eating their ceacal pellets.....which is what I think your bun is passing.

Thanks for your help. Shes just done 6 or 7 normal ones but another soft one came out after!

No problem :)

Rabbits are supposed to eat the soft 'ceacal' pellets as they contain unabsorbed nutriants.

Your rabbit is either not eating them because of 1. her teeth 2. she is producing too many and dosn't need the nutrients or 3. they taste funny and she dosn't like eating them.

I suspect the rich spring grass may have something to do with this.

If she's producing too many is there anything we can do to stop that? Also can we do anything to make them taste better?!

If she's producing too many is there anything we can do to stop that? Also can we do anything to make them taste better?!

Reducing her concentrate feed and getting her to eat much more hay will help. Fibreplex has been known to make caecotrophs more tastey...........:?

Janex

This 'big' poo, is it like a bunch of grapes or like a sausage? Also can I ask what colouring your bunny is please? It's not a daft question honestly.

hmmmm... his colouring doesn't really fit then. What I was thinking was this:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=125797&highlight=sausage
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=125998&highlight=sausage

More than likely you just need to cut right back on pellets for a few days. Mine are a bit sensitive if I even slightly over feed. Cut out greens and cut right back on pellets, just leaving lots of fresh hay and water for a few days and see what happens. :)

If it continues you may need to change the type of pellet you are feeding, and Im sure somebody could reccomend a good one. :)

Back