• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving bunnies

isla

Mama Doe
As me and my family are moving on to our own land some time soon, 2 of my indoor rabbits will be living outside. The plan is to move them out in our garden in a few weeks, so they get used to it, and when we have the land they'll be in a hutch inside a shed, with a run outside the shed. At the moment I need to find a hutch that is big enough to keep them comfortable, but not too big that it wont fit inside a shed.
What size hutch should I be looking at?

My rabbits will have acess to a run while they are here, but will be shut in the hutch at night.

The shed will be around 6ft long and 4/5ft wide.

Could they not be shut in the hutch at night? Is there a particular reason why you need to do that?

I'd guess a 5ft by 2ft would be ok, but it'll take up a fair bit of space inside your shed

Rather than a hutch, you could always fit some wooden shelves across the shed to give an extra level and provide a box or carrier as a sleeping area? That's if the shed is going to be just for the buns! You may want to cover the insides with mesh to prevent buns chewing out and escaping (I'd do this even if they were shut away at night anyway though)

The shed is just for the bun's and will be very very rabbit proof. Its while the rabbits are here that I need to have them in just a hutch to get them used to being outside, and we aren't getting the shed untill we move so I can't do shelves inside it. I need to know how big the hutch should be, They will probably ony be in it (and the run during the day) for a month or 2.

I can get a 2 story hutch, but I worry about floor space with the ramp, even though I'd probably take that out.

I have mine in a hutch in the shed. It is 4 ft x 2ft and he is fine with it. At 5:30 a.m I let him in his run which is 5 ft x 4ft and also in the garden free running for an hour. Then after work at 3:30 he is put in the run again and also in the garden for another hour. Then in the evening the same thing. He loves to play with me in the evening. I love him to pieces but he can't come in the house as hubby is allergic to him.

Back