• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update this morning- Please Help! Worried - rabbit ill?

ClaireM

New Kit
:wave:Hi everyone. Well after a sleepless night I went into the kitchen just now and he has eaten the carrot I left for him and as munching a bit of hay. He is hopping round and as soon as opened the kitchen door made a beeline for escape!
He is now nibbling on a treat stick!

It all seems very strange but maybe it was just some gas. He is off to the vet tomorrow anyway for neutering/nails/teeth so will mention it then.

Thank you all for your advice.

x:)

Hi all,

I am quite worried about Henry.
Upto an hour or so ago he was acting normally, eating, drinking and pooing as usual and being his naughty self. Then all of a sudden he jumped onto the sofa and did lots of poos and started to be very unsettled, lying down then sitting up and constantly shifting position.

He has been going from one side of the room to the other but won't settle and when he does lie down shifts around a lot. He didn't go near his bowl of hay which usually when I get it he is all over. Plus he isn't as keen on cuddles.

I also noticed that his heart is beating quite quickly although I appreciate it is hard to tell with rabbits about what is a normal heart rate!

His routine hasn't changed apart from the fact that we gave him some grass the kitty grow yourself stuff) which he had a normal amount of but this is the first time he has had it (apart from a few nibbles previously).

Help! I am so worried being a new owner.

Claire
x

Update -
Just spoken to the emergency vet who said to see how he is in the morning and make an appt. then if I am still worried. They seemed to be glad that he had been pooing/eating normally upto this evening and that he was still moving round - mostly when encouraged. I really don't know but I do know that he is definatly not himself.

Any other advice out there or has anyone experienced similar things?

Last edited:
:wave: Sorry to hear that Henry is feeling poorly :( It sounds like he has gas from your description. What you need to do is give him some gentle tummy massages - if you have any Infacol in then give him 2mls and then another 2mls an hour later if he is still the same.

Also, syringe some warm water into him and get him to move around the room as much as possible to help disperse the gas.

You can get Infacol at any supermarket in the baby section.

It may well have been the grass that he ate as it is very rich at the moment - it's spring grass and it takes time for their tums to adjust to it.

Sending lots of vibes to Henry.

Thanks so much, I will try the tummy massages, I have been trying to keep him moving a bit. He isn't interested in food at all which is unusual.

Unfortunately I don't have ay Infacol/syringes.

If he is still like this in the morning should I take him to the vets?

Also keep him warm, sick bunnies struggle to maintain body heat so watch him for signs of lethargy and cold.

If he stops pooing, becomes weak or floppy or starts to grind his teeth get him to the vet immediately. If the Infacol does not help within a couple of hours also call a vet.

What he should ideally have is Metaclopromide to stimulate his tummy and Metacam to relieve his pain.

Both bloat and GI stasis can be rapidly fatal so please call the vet if you have any doubts at all.

ETA- Just seen you dont have any Infacol. In my opinion you should call your emergency vet for advice.

I have just been down with him and have tried massaging his tummy which he is fine with and will run through his tunnel back and forth but isn't his usual self at all.

He has been pooing all night- if it was stasis/gas would he have pooed?

I have just been down with him and have tried massaging his tummy which he is fine with and will run through his tunnel back and forth but isn't his usual self at all.

He has been pooing all night- if it was stasis/gas would he have pooed?

Is he still pooing now? Are the poo's normal size/shape/colour?

He hasn't pooed for about an hour and 20 mins.

His poo's have been completely normal, nothing strange to report at all in terms of that.

At 9pm I put his pellets in his bowl as usual and he was easger as ever to get stuck in and then all of a sudden at about 10.30 ish he became really unsettled.

I have been reading about gas in rabbits which sounds like similar symptons. How long should he go w/o pooing or eating?

Quite often w/ my bunny, as she has bone cancer, when she doesn't eat, I hold her around me and handfeed her, and the green and pellet goes into her just fine. But if it is sitting right in front of her, she won't touch them. So in the future, if you feel it's necessary, try this trick

Back