• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Setup...........It's Here!!!!

sunshine123

Young Bun
Hi, I'm getting HH 6x2x2 Hutch/Run Combo for 2 med size bunnies, could someone advise me if this is right:
OUTSIDE
Hutch/Run will be on patio with cover made for rainproofing, but do I need a cover for night time?
I will add extra bolts/padlocks to openings.
INSIDE
Whole floor covered in vinyl tiles (is this safe if bunnies nibble) with litter tray in bedroom area, filled with carefresh and hay.
Food bowl/water/hay rack and maybe some small toys in main part hutch.
Toys/Tunnels, another food bowl/water bottle/hay rack and litter tray in the run area.
Does this sound alright, or should I have the hay scattered all over hutch and run.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thats sounds fine, i will be moving my bun onto the patio soon so would love to see some pics of your set up when its done :D

Thats sounds fine, i will be moving my bun onto the patio soon so would love to see some pics of your set up when its done :D

No prob, hutch is supposed to be comming tommorrow, I'm soooo excited, don't get buns for another few weeks yet but just want to get everything ready and be a good bunny mummy :D as I've never had buns before.

Hi there

That sounds similar to mine but I have a litter tray in the bedroom and main part of hutch - I was using straw and hay all over the floor but I think this just encouraged them to do wee's everywhere I have now taken it out except for the litter trays and they are only doing wee's in there now. I was a bit worried about them not having somewhere comfy to sit/snuggle at night with just lino floor so I've put rabbit vet bed in the sleep bit but I will take it out again I think if they start doing wee's on it though its just gone in today.

Actually my hutch is lined with carpet tiles..Bert is litter trained so all i do is sweep the stray bits of hay off the carpet occassionaly.

And they are cheap, mine were £1 each opposed to vet bed which is about £10 a square :)

Good thinking

When my vet bed gets past its sell by date I will go for the carpet tiles - the vet bed I got is like an oval shape piece from hayexperts for £4 something went a bit mad buying all sorts before they came :oops:

Well my hutch has just arrived:D, before I start (trying) to built it can any other happyhutch owners give me some tips on what to do and not to do:oops:,
I plan on attaching the run roof wrong way so I can stand in run for cleaning and I also read about make sure that the front is on correctly or it may leak, any more tips would be very helpful.
Thanks

Back