• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind Netherland dwarf

dawnki

Young Bun
My little buck that I rescued last week is blind in one eye. The eye itself is white and seems to tear-up a little daily. I have an appointment to take him to the vet tomorrow (that's also when I pick up pip!) ----I am thinking the vet will want to remove the eye at a later date.

Has anyone ever had to deal with something like this?

One of my bunnies is now blind. He had a eye bulge, which at first was thought to be EC related but this now is not thought to be the case. It had to be removed leaving him with one eye. His remaining eye is now going the same way and thought to be glaucoma. It is also going white from a cataract. We are treating with drops for the glaucoma but the vet doesn't want to remove it currently.

He gets around fine because he is bonded and his little netherland wife cares for him greatly.

If the vet does take the eye out, you probably won't find your bunny has a problem, particularly if he stays in the same surroundings and can find his way about okay.

Wishing you all the best.

Helen

Why would the vet want to remove the eye? If there's no problem except he's going blind I can't see why they'd want to put him through the op :? Something to consider for the future could be getting him a friend and she would help with the weeping hopefully by grooming him.

My six year old lionhead cross had to have an eye removed but he copes just fine and runs round the lawn with his black rex ladyfriend, no problem! :D

Well I took my dwarf in to see the vet and he said that the eye was blinded due to an injury-----i just adopted this little guy and he came from a horrible place---the vet said it's possible he could tear the eye from running into something when he's out playing but other than that he should be ok with it-----if he does tear it---they eye will have to be removed.

This little guy literally runs round and round me when he's out of his pen. It's so cute!:)

Has he been neutered? Thats usually rabbit language for 'I fancy you' :lol:

Not yet----I just got pip neutered last week and bob <--the dwarf--is next.

OMGosh ...the running round and round me is the sweetest thing ever----he also makes a little grunt-grunt noise! :lol: SOOOOO cute!

Not yet----I just got pip neutered last week and bob <--the dwarf--is next.

OMGosh ...the running round and round me is the sweetest thing ever----he also makes a little grunt-grunt noise! :lol: SOOOOO cute!

- oh I thought Lulu was the only one!! She does this to me too - it's so lovely - I hope she still does it after she's spayed :oops:

Back