• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People who think im mad make me mad!!!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
As i've said on the site, in the last couple of days, my gorgeous lop jess was diagnosed with GI Stasis. :shock: I was lucky cos it was something i had read about so recognised the symptoms and got him to my local animal hospital. I missed a day off school (im a teacher) on unpaid LOA because i needed to be with him, be available to pick him up if he was well enough to come home and then care for him.

Most people at work were fine and were, and still are, continuously asking how he was (they all know im mad about my babies) but some attitudes were awful. I know they were talking behind my back and coming over all bloody sanctamonious about it. It made me really mad cos I thought if it was their pet/child it would be a different story.

Non rabbit-owners attitudes to rabbit ownership is that it almost doesn't count. That they are animals with no personality that can just exist in a hutch and when it's nice and sunny, can occasionally be let out in the garden for a run round, before being placed back in their 'rightful' place at the bottom of the garden. Not an animal you should be emotional about - let alone not turn in to work for.

My babies, and all yours too, will have more life, love and personality than most of the people i work with in, what is supposed to be a 'caring' profession. :evil:

My gorgeous babies come first, and in my opinion that is the way in should be. Some things in life are just more important than a :censored: job!!!!

AHHH...ok...rant over!! :p

Lisa and crew!!

Fully understand hun, people will take days off to be with their kids, but can't understand when you need to be with your pet, who for the majority of us are our fur babies anyway....

I know. That's why im soooo glad i found this forum. At least i know i'm not on my own. It's nice and reassuring....:wave:

Lisa and crew xx

WIth me all my colleagues take this p*** :cry: Even my OH is getting fed up with people commenting to him now as well, until you have a bunny i don't think you can fully understand what its like!

When I was offered the job at the vets, I said I would take it but they had to realise if one of my animals was ill , I would not come in. Their reply was, folk stay off for their kids, we understand if you are off for the animals. Elsewhere I get treated like a nutter, especially because we don't take holidays as we have too many to leave and too many "special" needs.

:) TOTALLY AGREE, ITS THE SAME WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY WHEN THEY ARE POORLY, IVE HAD SOME REALLY :rolleyes: SARCASTIC COMMENTS " YOU,VE PAID HOW MUCH FOR A RABBIT"!!!! WELL IVE TWO CHILDREN AND MY BUNS GET TREATED EXACTLY THE SAME, THEY ARE ALL MY BABIES.AS MUCH AS I LOVE MY BOYS, MY BUNS GIVE ME UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.SO I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!

i am also a teacher
i am the only female teacher at my school to have never missed a day, but i would have if i was in your situation -
how many have days off not because they are sick but because the kids are?
i wouldnt mind but some of these kids are 15 or 16!!!!! I know one particular person who counts up teh number of lessons they have to cover for someone, then when it reaches 6 they have the day off!

Absolutely understand why you get so mad. I have people who think I'm nuts and think that rabbits belong in a pie (like my mother in law).

Unless a person has actually had rabbits and kept them in a way that enables their natural behaviour, they can't possibly understand why we are all so mad about them and that each and everyone has their very own massive personality and deserves to be cared for like a family member.

I am very lucky because I too work for a vet and the lady who recruited me and is my boss is a bunny mummy too with umpteen of her own and a top notch boarding facility. I realise how lucky I am.:D Our practise slogan is ' a pet is an important member of the family'. How true.

I work in a school not a teacher but as a TA and everyone would come down on me in droves if I had a day off for my bunnies:cry:

Do I care - I would still take time off if necessary - I have an 8 year old and they would accept stopping off if he was bad so why not my bunnies.

There is more to life than work:roll:

I completely understand your frustration, I get it all the time!! I work with one girl who is really great at understanding my love for buns, she has dogs and cats and feels the same way about them as I feel towards my bunnies. They are essentially our children and we would do anything for them just as if we had kids!

Don't worry, you always have us on RU to vent to and we'll understand!

Back