• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very disappointed.

Radish

Mama Doe
i'm sad to say that this evening Blackberry and Moo my two rex girls are being separated.

they had a fight this morning after i fed them... i wasn't in the room but heard some thumping about...didn't take much notice as they stamp about a bit...

when i got home from work i went and visited them as normal and there was some fur around their pen..checked both over and although as yet i can't find wounds on Moo, Blackberry has a plug of full thickness skin removed( you can see the membrane underneath which surrounds her organs so although small was nasty bite) and there were quite a few tufts of loose fur on her...i'm modifying my two galvanised runs to accomodate them side by side in my spare room...the girls will be separated tonight.

it's really disappointing as they had been getting along well after their last fight a few weeks ago. so now i have five single bunnies and no pairs:(:(

I'm really sorry it is frustrating and upsetting when you have to split bunnies up. Sorry it hasn't worked out but it sounds like you perceviered for a long time.

yeah, i'm really torn about separating them as i imagine the fight was over food.

i always spread the food out but they will keep going for the same piece.

i just feel sad as they won't be together when most of the time they are really happy together... but this is the second fight in a few weeks and both times blood has been drawn.

they will be next to each other and can touch noses through the bars.....i just hope i'm doing the right thing.... i can only say that atleast this way neither can come to physical harm.:(

it's just that they've been together all their lives...their about seven / eight months now.

awww never mind - so long as they have other rabbits around, I've found singles are quite contented with life, although they do make a lot more mess with scentmarking - it becomes a competition between them all :roll: Once they settle down again I'm sure they'll be happy - main problem is juggling the running space if they have to share it - and making sure they can't bite noses through cage bars - Guinea pigs are definitely easier to bond :shock:

well i separated them last night and to be honest both bunnies seem much more relaxed...i didn't realise how not relaxed they were until they had seperate cages...now they both seem much happier!

i've basically removed the middle section from two galvanised runs so they both have two thirds of the old pen each as permanent homes atleast for now, will be able to have more space once i've got a bit more money.

yeah they are both spayed and no other buns indoors....have to say i think we're all much happier now they're single...four of my five buns are quite happy single but Sparrow my baby seems lonely so i may eventually try pairing her with benjamin fairweather or if that bombs get her a little dutch buck for a pal but that's much further down the line as she's not old enough to be spayed yet.

I had the same problem with my bonded bunnies... The male, neutered by still "active" was really sensitive of the other bunnies I can have in the house (I fostered some homeless bunnies) and even after that, he used to be agressive with his girlfriend... Each time she was ignoring him, blam, he tried to go on her, and as she left, he run after her and attacked her...
Do you know with one attack the other? May be you can try to bond together the more dominant, and less dominated? or at least the less dominated together...
good luck, cec

Back