• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Advice

donna4725

New Kit
Im looking at getting a rabbit but have seen lots of differnt hutches,some even to my unexperianced eye look unsuitable. what is the minium size i should look for and what is the optimal ,are ones with a built in run better ( as well as having one that can be moved round the garden).

is there any paticular breed that is better for handling ?. the rabbit will be indoors and outdoors as well and will get plenty of handling.
Sorry for lots of questions but want to get it right before we get a rabbit

Hiya,

The RSPCA and WRA (I think) both recommend that the hutch is no smaller than 6ftx2ftx2ft and most rescues ask for this too.

However I have a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch but it has fulltime access to an attached run and was able to take on rescued buns in that size.

As for breeds I don't know what is the sweetest nature. I think its down to the rabbit and how its handled. My bun Arthur is a drawf lop and they are suppose to be placid however he is really aggressive my other bun Dylan is a English cross lionhead and has the sweetest nature. I also think that Dutch buns have lovely natures. Hope this helps a bit.

Have you looked at slightly different housing, such as playhouses, summer houses and sheds?

My playhouse has an attached run and is much bigger then most hutches, I got it in a sale and it cost £70! It's given us 4 good years of service and I'm hoping that once retreated, it'll do at least another 4.

Breed-wise, if you get a rescue bunny, you'll probably get more information on its personality then you wold from a pet shop. I have a dutch/dwarf cross who is very feisty and an English who is very laid back.

Back