• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

french lops

I've got two french lops. They are big and heavy and currently about 15 inches long - my two are particularly lazy but adorable - they have a relaxed, unstressed attitude and are a pleasure to sit with. I personally find it awkward (maybe daunting) to handle them because of their size (and possibly due to my inexperience). Not really a pick up and cuddle sized rabbit. More of a substitute 'dog' than a substitute 'cat'.

I've also got two mini lops (I really think they're German lops) and they are two thirds the length @ 10 inches and a lot nippier on their feet and I find them easier to handle. They are females, younger and inquisitive little lovies. They are lovely, possibly more of a pick up and cuddle sized rabbit.

All rabbits litter trained easily. They have their own individual personalities making each one special no matter what breed.

Be honest with yourself, if you think once the 'newness' of having a rabbit will wear off and it will be less handled/sat with, get it a friend when you are not about.............

I don't have french lops but I have a bonded pair and they both still enjoy their human attention, but because they are together I feel less guilty about not being around constantly, Charlie was happy as a single bun but he adores Poppy and I love seeing them fuss each other, getting her also curbed his naughty antics and destructive behaviour. Poppy in particular will sit and be stroked on the sofa whilst he is wandering around and getting up to no good, this morning I was laid on the sofa stroking her when Charlie landed on me wanting his turn for noserubs. All rabbits have different personalites, a good way to find out what they are like is to go to a rescue and adopt one or two as they will have a good idea of their temperament, I picked Poppy on the basis of her nature, once I read that she followed Chloe wanting attention I couldn't resist her.

We have two french lops and they are a fantatsic breed. Lionel (my fav but please do not tell my other buns) is so fluffy and adorable and always up to no good, he can also be very determined and strong at times. When we used to keep him indoors he used to jump on the bed each morning and lick my face or nibble my chest in an attempt to get me up to make his breakfast :lol:

Phil

rabbits are very, very sociable animals - think of the big groups they live in in the wild - even if you spent eight solid hours a day with him, that's still 16 hours he's alone. your choice, i just think that whoever labelled it "a cunning ploy by rescues" was being naive or malicious

I know I have a single rabbit myself ;) she has so far resisted all attempts at bonding but I'm going to try her again as soon as I have a stable place to live.

To my mind rabbits should be paired whenever possible as they are very social animals. It won't detract from how they interact with you and can only be good for them.

Don't forget to post pics when you do get your bun or buns :D

I would say that almost all rabbits need a friend, even if they get plenty of human interaction. Yes, some rabbits are anti-social but most need a friend of their own kind. I have two small/medium bunnies and they love me (particularly Inky), even though they have each other and to be honest, even if they ignored me, I'd still adore them because they are a pleasure to watch playing together.

Also, I personally would disagree with a hutch of only 6 feet for a French Lop. That's the minimum for a 'normal' rabbit, a bigger rabbit is going to need a much bigger home, more like a shed.

We totally agree that you shouldn't have bunnies on their own. We rescued our lops when they were really young and pre-ops. They had a bedroom each until they were ready for bonding, and they now live very happily together.

Having them in with us was a great way of keeping them company and getting to know them really well.

My frenchie, BB, is the most laid back rabbit I have ever owned. She lives with a very fiesty nethie and tolerates his bad behaviour brilliantly.
I agree with most of the others comments on here, that ideally your rabbit should have a companion. Personally I would never choose to have a single rabbit again after seeing how happy my pairs are.
Whether the rabbit has a close relationship with you, or not, will depend on the temperament of the individual rabbit e.g. when I took on my last rabbit (had him from a baby as he was a foster bun) he was extremely sociable with me, would run to greet me, and was very easy to handle. I expected this to change when he got his girlfriend, but he is still exactly the same as before:D

Not all frenchies are the same though - we have one in the rescue that has a turn on her of about 90 miles per hour, and she bites!

Before you go to a breeder why not try your rescue route first, as they many be able to provide you with a bonded pair that are already neutered, vacc'd etc??

OMG i am so glad i found this thread as ive been debating wether i do the wrong thing by only having 1rabbit.Most people seem to think 2is best.My last french lop was like a dog and we had such a strong bond.I have a lone frenchie at mo.I said i was going to get bonding pairs in the future but after reading this im not sure if i will.What is the point of having a companion bunny if they are not a companion?I dont think im being selfish anymore as i know my bun is getting the best care possible.

You do not need two french lop rabbits if your new edition is going to get plenty of human interaction. This is merely a cunning ploy used by rescue centres and some pet shops to make an extra sale.

If you you do get two french lop rabbits they will merely reguard you as the food provider, if you want your french lop rabbit to bond very closely with you and your family then only get one - and you will become the friend.

Bull :censored:; and the original writer can't spell to boot!

1) Rescue centres do not sell; at most you donate a set amount; usually you're asked for a donation

2) Multiple rabbits do not see the human solely as a "food provider"; all of the three in my sig are now bonded, every time I go to see them (they're upstairs at the moment) at least one comes running because they want strokes and attention from me.

3) Rabbits are social animals and are best "viewed" as pairs or more; one rabbit is nice, but there is nothing like the bond between buns, the affection they show each other, the way they play together, and yes - all three of ours have wonderful bonds with my fiancé & I.

heres a strange one.. Alvin has become more human friendly since he was bonded in January.. its just getting better by the day and seeing them lying together in the middle of my floor is the best sight ive had the joy of seeing ever :love: :love; :love:

i would only keep a single bun if i was with him/her 24 hours a day but even then i couldnt fake being a rabbit.. id struggle to share a piece of hay or lick thier ears :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i dont think you need constant attention off such wonderful animals, to sit back and watch them gettin on with thier business without any human fear is pretty amazing..

id love to have frenchies but id need a bigger house first :shock:
cant wait to see your pics when you get your bun

Hi :wave:
I have a French lop bonded with a Flemish giant as house bunnies. They love each other, but since they have been together Nigel (my frenchie) has become really affectionate towards us too. :)

DSCN1214-1.jpg

DSCN1228-1.jpg

DSCN1208-1.jpg

:):)

Gorgeous bunnies! Honey has become more friendly too since being bonded with Willis, I just posted this week to say she'd come for nose rubs for the first time in nearly two years! :D

Back