• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment of urinary infections?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hi friends :wave:

Please could you tell me what the usual treatment is for a urinary tract infection?
I have sent a urine sample off this morning but I know that very often the test doesn't always show up the bacteria even if there is a bacterial infection.

The sample that I managed to get was taken at 7.30pm last night and I kept it in the fridge and dropped it into the vet this moning so am wondering whether the sample will be ok.

Is there a particular antibiotic of choice for urinary infections?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Baytril is usually effective but the lab test should involve culture and sensitivities so the most appropriate abx can be given for the particular bacteria identified.

Janex :)

I've never had a urine test that has ever cultured positive for bacteria...the bacteria that causes UTIs can't survive in air, so even if a needle is inserted directly into the bladder, the bacteria still die before tests can be done

Hello friends :wave:

Thank you for replying :D

If a bacterial infection was detected or suspected how long a course of antibiotics is usually needed?

Thank you for all your help.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I was given one week baytril but also panacur paste in-case sootys urinary incontinence was caused by EC rather than an infection. Turned out it was actually EC.

Thank you :wave:

Harv tested negative for EC. Have another appt tomorrow so hopefully should know more then.
Thank you,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

The length of the course of antibiotics depends on how persistant the UTI is. Usually they clear with within a week, but really persistant ones can last for months.

i take it this is for your bun and not you!!!!:lol:Barley had some sort of UTI after being stressed at vets.When i say UTI it may not have been an infection of such but it was a renal problem.She couldn't wee and has been on a low calcium diet ever since.Vet recommended pineapple juice or apple cider vinegar in water bottle[diluted of course]+diuretic foods such as dandelions or watery veg ie cucumber or carrotts.Fruit such as apples.Stop green veg altogether[apart from cucumber].When i told vet i wasnt happy with this high sugar diet she phoned an expert at Harrogate who said give her her normal veg but cut out high calcium products such as large no of pellets,parsley,mineral licks,dried fruit[which i used to give as treats].I was recommended on a forum to give dried cranberries but that exasubated the problem.Sorry this is long winded!!!:D

We have so far always successful treated UTI's with Baytril but we also give Metacam as they can make it very painful for the rabbit to pass water.

They are usually clear within a week.

Hello Willowholly :wave:

i take it this is for your bun and not you!!!!Barley had some sort of UTI after being stressed at vets.When i say UTI it may not have been an infection of such but it was a renal problem.She couldn't wee and has been on a low calcium diet ever since.Vet recommended pineapple juice or apple cider vinegar in water bottle[diluted of course]+diuretic foods such as dandelions or watery veg ie cucumber or carrotts.Fruit such as apples.Stop green veg altogether[apart from cucumber].When i told vet i wasnt happy with this high sugar diet she phoned an expert at Harrogate who said give her her normal veg but cut out high calcium products such as large no of pellets,parsley,mineral licks,dried fruit[which i used to give as treats].I was recommended on a forum to give dried cranberries but that exasubated the problem.Sorry this is long winded!!!
Today 09:08 AM

Yes...it's for my little bun :lol: Thank you for being so kind and replying.
It may well be calcium related so have to go back tomorrow for more tests.

Thank you for replying Sooz :wave: That's really good to know. I don't like the idea of buns being on antibiotics for a long time but I know sometimes it has to be done.

Oh Sooz...one more thing...Is it best to give buns oral baytril or injectable? It's just my boy has a delicate tum.

Thank you for your replies!!!

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I've always used oral in conjunction with probiotics but it does tend to have a bigger impact on the gut flora in this way. Incidentally I have given it orally to a bun with a UTI and an inflammed gut (passing mucus) and he was OK.

On the otherhand giving it orally allows it to go to the site of the problem as it's processed.

In otherwords....I'd see which your vet thinks is more appropriate!

Back