• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3 week old baby buns - advice required

Alpha

Warren Scout
Hi all - Advice needed please i have been given 5 3 weeks old baby buns to foster as there mother died rather sudden. I have fostered over the yrs bunnies with behaviour problems but never babies. They are eating hay and starting to eat dried pellets now. I have only picked them up today have been intstructed to syringe them milk formula 3 times a day. I need to know off u guys please anything else i need to be aware off. When can i start them on veg as some of them are knawing already. Also would it be safe to put them outside on the grass in a run for a little excerisce. All this is new to me but am enjoying the challenge so any help or advice on my new charges will be gratefully appreciated.

many thnks

Hi,
Have no real advice apart from I believe goats milk is recommended for babes.

I am sure someone more knowlegeable will be along soon.

Good luck with them,
Vanessa xx

alot of people don't agree with giving veggies so young but I always do as they normally eat it with their mother any how. I have got 2 6wk old babies that I took in when they were 10 days old with their mum and these have been eating bits of all veg and herbs from being 2wks old and it hasn't harmed them one bit. Good luck:D

Thank you both - the centre gave me some proper powder milk that they use so that is sorted. I will try them on a little veg i think see how they get What about them going out in the garden for a run???

Thank you both - the centre gave me some proper powder milk that they use so that is sorted. I will try them on a little veg i think see how they get What about them going out in the garden for a run???

Personally I would not give them Veg as they no longer have their Mums milk to protect their guts. Giving Veg to weanlings is OK if Mum is still with them, but orphans guts are already going to be heavily challenged. I'd keep them off the grass too as it is rich at this time of year and may well cause bloat.

I would add a probiotic to their milk feed, allow 24/7 access to a good quality hay and some dried pellet feed. The higher the fibre content of the pellets the better.

If you have a healthy adult Rabbit you could harvest some caecotrophs from him/her and add them to a milk feed. This will help establish a healthy balance of gut flora in the babies

Good Luck :)

Janex

OOooooo thanks i do have two healthy house bunnies to i will try that with the poop things.

Thanks a bunch i will let u know how i get on.

Lactol

I have some 4 wk babies too. Would Lactol poo poo shakes do the trick. Lactol is a milk powder used for Puppies and Kittens.

Cheers
P

Back