• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit is not drinking enough water!!!!!

Biggles

New Kit
:wave:HI
i'm new to this site,so excuse me if i do anything wrong!!!!!
i have a 7 week old dwaf lionhead rabbit called Diesel which i have only had for a week and a half , i have noticed that he is not drinking much water from his bottle!! please can anyone give me some advice on this,i was told by a friend (who doesn't have a rabbit ) that i was giving him too much spinach can anyone tell me could this be the cause???

Hi
Mine's the same but vet said if he's getting lots of fresh food (which he is) then it's fine. But i've also started putting a small bowl of water near his food which he drinks from as well as the bottle now:)

No expert but think it's ok but not too often, same with Kale. Mine gets rocket, watercress and some herbs. Goodluck!

Have you seen the water bottle actually being drunk from? Are the teeth ok? My lot are really impatient when it comes to using bottles, they scrap at the wire wanting water IMMEDIATELY, so I've given them a big bowl that I keep topped up, as well as the bottle......

Anything to keep them happy :roll:

One of my bunnies prefers to drink from a ceramic bowl. It may be worth giving the bun his/her water in a heavy bowl as some drink a lot more water that way.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I think lots of bunnies prefer to drink from bowls given the choice.

Our indoor bunnies have bowls and it's very funny the noises they make when drinking from a bowl, as opposed to a bottle.

:wave: at least im not the only with a bunny that wont drink enough water

fudge prefers to drink the water from when I cook the vegetables rather than tap water (whether filtered or not!) so I end up saving my cooking veg water for him (I dont add salt when cooking)...fudge seems to prefer things to have some taste to them so often gets peppermint tea (he discovered this for himself by drinking it from my mug when back turned!:roll:)

:roll:sometimes he prefers the liquid to be warm rather than cold too!

If your bun is only seven weeks old you need to be really careful about giving him vegetables. Was he having them when you got him? The suggestion is to introduce one thing at a time with just a tiny piece as very young rabbits are prone to stomach upsets which can be very serious. What else do you feed him? Unlimited hay is really important.

With the water, as was previously suggested trying a bowl might help.

Oh and welcome! :wave:

thank you!!!!

hi everyone:)
thank you for all your advice, will try diesel with a bowl aswell as the bottle!!!!
its so nice that there is a lot of people out there that care so much for there bunnies and are willing to help other people:D
thank you:)
keree

I agree with trying a bowl of water. Julie rarely drinks from her bottle. She drinks a lot of water from the bowl but it has to be fresh and she enjoys a few ice cubes thrown in once in a while. You might try giving your bun one to chew on and play with. Julie loves them.

Barley doesn't drink much[maybe a centimetre out of her bottle a day].Its cos she eats lots of fresh foods.If for some reason shes had more pellets than usual she'll drink more.

One of my bunnies prefers to drink from a ceramic bowl. It may be worth giving the bun his/her water in a heavy bowl as some drink a lot more water that way.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Sarahs the same...she just will not drink form a bottle! x

If bunny is grazing on fresh grass he won't need much in the way of water either. After all how many water bottles/bowls do you see hanging in hedgerows.:)

mine have a bowl & I replace the water twice a day as they seem to like it as fresh as possible. I too have found that adding a little flavouring seems to dramatically increase consumption when I added some cranberry juice when one of the buns had possible cystitis. BUT if you bunny is young I wouldn't recomend giving anything but plain water.

The nature of bottle is Discourging to rabbit, if you want your bun to drink lots of water, I find the water bowl much, much encouraging to a bunny. I used to have water bottle, but switch to bowl many years ago

Back