• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

female neuter

tickles

Mama Doe
My female i feel should be neutered as she is sexually harssing her neutered mate.However the vet is not keen on neutering females why is that ? now i dont know what to do. Advice please

My female i feel should be neutered as she is sexually harssing her neutered mate.However the vet is not keen on neutering females why is that ? now i dont know what to do. Advice please

I would try a different vet if I were you until you find one who will do this procedure. There is the chance that without they could get cancer so is very useful for the little thing

Hope this helps :D

If your vet hasn't done any/many spays he might not be confident to do it. Find another vet who has experience of rabbit neutering.

I agree with the above post. I would find a more bunny savvy vet. Some vets who do not do this procedure often enough may well find it quite daunting due to the animals size (rabbits are classed as exotics by vets) and without loads of experience a vet might not feel confident.

It is very important to your bunny that she is neutered because approx 80% of female bunnies that get to the age of 3-4 will suffer from uterine cancer, so without a neuter you are putting your bunny at great risk. Uterine cancer is painful and can be very expensive if it has to be treated.

You will also see a much calmer bunny who is not driven bonkers by her hormones.

I would say that the risks of problems from a spay, massively outway those of not doing so.

I have a lady bunny here who wasn't spayed and by the time she came into the rescue where I got her from, she had a tumor about the size of a golf ball (found upon spaying). If she hadn't had the spay, she would have died.

I don't think I would feel confident with a vet that didn't think it was necessary so my recommendation would be to find a good bunny vet who does spays routinely.

Its a complecated op.My vet wouldn't spay Holly. when i found another vet who would she already had an ovary the size of a golf ball.Since then i had Will and B done as soon as they were old enough.Not taking that chance again.Apparently 85%of does get uterine cancer if unspayed by the age of 5.Holly was almost 5when we found hers.

Beatrix was neutered as soon as I could as she was harrassing her husbun Norman. Norman was neutered by his previous owner and she was not .I didnt want them to fall out.she was 7 months old,also i didnt want her to get cancer of the uterus.I rang the vet and they booked her in 2 days later,she is now a much calmer and nicer bunny

get a different vet - my vet does a couple a week . You need to find a vet that does them regularly AND is up to date on the aneasthetic as advice on this has changed in the last years. rabbits have very specific anaesthetic needs. Also the quicker the operation is the better so they are 'under' for least time - so get a vet that is used to it, does it all the time, is quick, and knows the latest.

But DO get it done - cancer of the womb is VERY common in rabbits.

thansk for the resposes i am waiting for the vet to ring me up for info and appointment.Thanks for helping me sort it:D

Back