• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental checkups- how often

jennyp

Warren Scout
As the title says really i had my twos teetch checked in january and at the time the vet nurse said that they would check them again when they have their myxi vac in october....
I was wondeirng if they need their teeth checking more regularly than this.. say every 6 months? At the moment they seem pretty bright in themselves but are not eating as much as they have been ( leaving some pellets and greens) and i was thinking that it could either be that as its getting warmer they simply are not needing as much food or that there may be sharp teeth going on.

How often do you have your buns teeth checked and has anyones buns started to eat less in the warmer weather?

Thanks

Ps- sorry for the long post!

have bumped this up as I'm curious to know as well. My two do have teeth problems and they aren't eating a lot at the moment yet look fine. they seem to be eating their veg but not their pellets :?

My bunnies have their myxi every 6 months and are checked then, however one is a dental bun and goes every month anyway:rolleyes:

B gets her teeth checked twice yearly when having her jabs done.When under anaesthetic for an xray her back teeth were checked more thorougly and the vet wondered why her teeth were so perfect,i said its cos shes on a hay/veggy diet.

i think to be on the safe side im going to get them checked...i would rather be safe than for them to have sore teeth and not be able to eat.
They were fine this morning when i let them out, binkying left right and center and very active....just hadnt eaten much- only their carrot piece ( no greens, rocket, watercress) and probably about half a handful of SS between them.
i hoping that its just the warmer weather but will know for sure tomorrow.

I have an otoscope so check my buns teeth every month or when one appears to have 'dental' symptoms.

I would think bi-annually was fine as long as you got them checked over if they displayed possible dental symptoms.

Back