• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor vs. out

sbunny

New Kit
:wave:Well just as the title says, I'm looking to see how many of you keep your buns outside(all year long) and how many of you have indoor (house) rabbits?
Here in the States it seems that lots of people are against keeping rabbits outside, but I so enjoy seeing pictures of all of your rabbits living happily in your gardens that I am starting to question.
I live in one of the colder states so mine are indoor although I take them out a lot during the spring and summer. I was thinking of building a permanent outdoor run though.
Thanks for any replies!

mine are outside but the temperature never goes below 20 degrees F, and has only been down that low a couple of times this winter, and only for a couple of hours at night - so mine are fine in hutches with rugs on against the cold at night, and don't need covering in the day - in fact they hate hot summers more. The water dishes only froze once this winter too - I imagine you would need an insulated shed to put your hutches in really :)

Mine are out all year round. However, if I had my way I would have them inside in the autumn/winter and out in the spring and summer.

I love watching them play outside and could not deny them that, however, with Inky's joint problems, I think they will probably need to be inside more as they get older.

indoor bunnies here :)

when its nice i do open the kitchen door so they can get some fresh air very rarely they spend more than 15 mins outside tho so i end up closeing the door to stop the flys coming in

Hi :wave: I've had both indoor and outdoor bunnies and there are pros and cons to both situations. With an indoor bunny, you get to spend much more time with them and they become more humanized as a result. Nothing beats settling down to watch your favourite TV show with a snuggly bun on your lap! However, the outdoor buns seem to live a more 'natural' life for want of a better phrase. But, they tend not to need their human companions as much as the indoor buns. They're quite happy with their bunny friends and although they're always pleased to see Mummy, especially when she has food (!!!) they're content to do bunny things in and around the garden. I leave the French doors open and mine hop into the kitchen at will (in the summer) but if I'm honest, I spend much less quality time with them in winter. The temperature here is rarely at the extremes of the scale so the bunnies are pretty well adapted to living outdoors and, I have to confess, I had air-con installed at home indoors because I can't bear to see the dogs huffing and puffing when we have one of those really hot days! So any future house-buns would have the comfort of air-con too!

If mine were outside in winter, I honestly wouldn't sit with them for hours like I do when they are indoors.

They have their own room, BUT they get garden access once in a while in winter & several times aweek in summer & they LOVE it. I don't see much binkying in their rooms - with them being loose full time, but put them on grass & they don't stop!!

Nothing better in summer, than watching the big group chase each other around the grass with a glass of wine:D

All of my 8 are outdoor buns, and stay out all year round.
For the colder weather though, they do have their partners to snuggle with, their sheds are insulated and well stuffed with hay and pro-fleece, and they naturally build up a good winter coat for insulation.

I spend half my life in the garden so that the rabbits get lots of free time in the garden, summer and winter, but often dream of them being indoors in the winter, but more for my sake as some nights are so cold:lol:

Personally I generally prefer my buns to have a more natural habitat outdoors, and IMO I believe that they are more robust than house rabbits, but I can see the benefits of house rabbits, and when one of them loses their partner I would probably bring the remaining partner indoors, if I wasn't going to get them another partner.

I have one indoors and one outdoors. But that's only because my mum won't let me have two inside, if it was my choice I would only have indoor rabbits, so much better for them. But she gets out to play in the garden in summer.

wow, thanks for all the replies.
It sounds like its pretty 50/50
I know that I could never keep my buns outside year round....I hate the winter and going outside to feed and hang out with them would make me crazy...but I am a little envious of those of you who can.
Right now I'm working on the area that my buns spend most of their time. I'm hoping that I will be able to keep all three of them in the same room by the time all the work is done. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

My Millie stays out all year, although she comes inside the house for a few hours everyday. I had no problems what so ever with her living outside when she was one of a pair, however since Ruby died and so Millie became an only bun I'm not as happy with her being out on her own.:? If I could have my way I'd have her inside in the winter and outside in the summer - but my parents ruled against that proposal!:rolleyes:

I think there is no answer to the 'great bunny debate' (Indoor vs outdoor) because it depends on climate, your individual bunny, whether they live alone or in company, how much time you have for them etc. Personally I think some rabbits prefer living outside, some prefer living inside. I definetely know that Millie prefers it outside - grass to chew, mud to dig, sun to lie in...what more does a bunny need?;)

Back