• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrots getting more aggresive

joannep

New Kit
I am at a loss of what to do with carrots the 18 month old doe I adopted, she seems to be getting more aggressive. Whenever I try to stoke her or feed her she bites. When I pick her up she poos and wees on me and her urine is very smelly! how can I try to stop her biting? any idea?
Jo

Is she spayed? It sounds like hormones are getting the better of her at the moment!

Yes, she sounds like she needs spaying (if she isnt already).

Anyway you can just spend time with her, without picking her up? Eg, can you sit on the floor with her close by, reading a book or watching TV (so you're not bored and not focusing all your attention on her), so she can come and investigate you? Have a little pot of healthy treats and offer her one if she comes close, and only stroke her briefly.

I spent several hours bribing Muppet with tiny bits of carrot, when I first got him ;) (He was easy though, I admit: he was friendly and curious, he just needed his confidence to build up.) It took him ages to get the hang of being stroked.

loves company

She loves being talked to and love me stroking her through the bars. I try to be unpredictable so that she doesn't think she is touched or picked up. I open her hutch and just talk, she hops out rubs against my had and goes back in. I am a little concerned about spaying her, is it in her best interest? having lost a guinea pig under a general I am worried about putting her through it. I must admit she is a real character and I love her despite her biting. I will be concerned about her next week as I am on holiday and I worry that the work will be undone.

Back