• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on bunnies visit to the vets

debbie_7155

Warren Scout
Thank you all for your kind words of support..heres the update...

Shadow who is 11-13 weeks old,
is NOT a boy :shock: He is a Girl :lol: , boy were me & hubby shocked, but were happy no matter what, so hence the nest making last week & humping thumper :lol:

As for the licking on my arms, its a new one for the vet, who has been a vet for 35 yrs & a friend too, has no idea but said she lookes a very healthy little FEMALE rabbit & it could just be hormonal

As for Thumper the 5 year old white MALE one,

Got told tonight he has gone blind in one eye :(:cry::(:cry:
& had to have one of his teeth clipped & ive jut seen him eat first time in couple days :D
The vet said they are going to clean the rest of his teeth like they did before (while hes asleep) & neutered the same time, hopefully in about 10 days time..

Then we can introduce shadow & thumper together & fingers crossed they might live together

Tonight i have just spent half hour combing the knots out of thumper & looks like ive just skinned a rabbit, pardon the expression :lol:
The vets know thumper is very much a batchelor scruffy type rabbit, but tonight the vet told me to let me take charge over his grooming from now on as he cant be bothered himself..
And soon as the vet said that..Thumper sat upright & started grooming in front of us all..:shock::lol: ... we did laugh

we are bringing the rabbits indoors one at a time, shadow loves climbing all over the dogs & for the first time thumper is mellowing a little & hopefully when he has been neutered he will be even better ;)

I bet that was a shock. Shame about Thumper's eye. I used to have a dog that was totally blind. He coped remarkably well. :wave:

My old bunny Rowan used to lick my Dad when he got in from work, we thought it may be because he liked the salt from his sweat :p

My other male bunnies often 'groom' me which involves licking my arm or foot. None of my females have ever done this though.

It would be best to wait until both of them have ben neutered before bonding.

oh is it best to get her ( shadow) done aswell?

I Never thought about her..what age can she be done at ?
will that stop her being randy towards thumper...
Im trying to type this as she is licking my arms like crazy..:lol: yes the vet said some of it will be because of the salt on our body & a bonding thing as well as hormones with her

oh is it best to get her ( shadow) done aswell?

I Never thought about her..what age can she be done at ?
will that stop her being randy towards thumper...
Im trying to type this as she is licking my arms like crazy..:lol: yes the vet said some of it will be because of the salt on our body & a bonding thing as well as hormones with her

Yes it's much better to get them both fixed. Not only will it stop her being 'randy' but it will prevent her developing uterine cancer which occurs in 80% of females over 5 years.

It will also make bonding easier and less stressful for everyone!

She can be done from 6 months though some vets will spey when they reach 1kg in weight.

Thank you for that info... just another 3 months to wait with her.. hubby keeps saying him to her :lol:

I am so pleased we didnt pick a boy boy name for her...poor little thing :oops:

Rabbits with teeth probelms often don't groom as well as they use their front teeth when grooming. You'll need to keep a close eye on him as often once they've had to have them done once they need them doing again in future. If you see any problems with eating, change in food preference or eating motion that's the time to get them to the vet asap. If you catch them quick before it gets sore enough to stop them eating they bounce back quicker :)

Diet plays an important part so encourage as much hay (or grass) eating as possible to wear them down correctly :)

Tam

Hi Tam, Unfortunatly Thumper has never eaten grass..he just never took to it.. very bizaare i know, but he does have the odd dandilion, with hay, & lots of fresh veggies,

I never gave it one thought at first about it could be his teeth again.. the vet said the same thing..once theyve had a problem with their teeth like he did lasy year, you have to keep on ball with it
and this time im going to be keeping a good eye on him

Back