• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's Amazing What Can Happen At The Feed Store.....

March Hare

Warren Veteran
I went to the feed store today to pick up a few supplies. I was buying some wire as well for my new Guinea Pig run. I was talking to the chap who worked there about the wire, and told him that I was building a piggie run and that I would like to build a little herd of 6 or so girlie pigs. After he walked off, a man approached me and said that he couldn't help but overhear my conversation :)roll:) and that he had a 10 month old girlie that he would like to find a home for if I would like to look at her. So as it was only a couple of miles away, I went and had a look. She is an absolutely gorgeous Lilac and Tan Rex, and I just fell in LOVE with her! The guy appeared to be breeding a fair bit, and had another litter of two there that were 6 weeks old. He told me that I could also have the girlie from the other litter in 2 or 3 weeks if I want her, as he has 2 more litters due soon.:? The baby is a solid Lilac Rex, and VERY sweet! So my little group is coming on nicely! :D I am not going to try introducing the 10 month old in with the little ones until they are bigger, as I don't want to risk them getting injured in any way. Here are some pics of the new 10 month old girlie! I am trying to think of a new name for her, as her name at the moment is Patricia!:shock: I am thinking another 'food oriented' name as I have Truffle and Cookie! :D

AGPLilac6.jpg

AGPLilac8.jpg

AGPLilac7.jpg

AGPLilac11.jpg

AGPLilac9.jpg

aw, she's beautiful. She is the colour of baileys. (don't mind me, I think i'm getting alcohol withdrawal)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was advised bonding is easier if you bond a really young piggy to an older one. I bonded my boars as soon as the baby was old enough to leave mum and they were fine pretty much immediately. The older one seemed to take on a paternal role.

P.S She is lovely. My first piggy is a chocolate rex. Very similar in look just a bit browner in colour.

Really??? Have any other 'piggie people' heard this too? Should I try to put them together now instead of later?????

why doesnt anything exciting ever happen to me?What a lovely piggie ;)
I like Crunchie,cracker,crumpet,wotsit,toffee,fudge,womble,weeble,caramel,cocoa or BISCUIT ;)

I've always bonded very young babies with my older pigs when bonding boars, the pre-loved baby boar went in with his Dad last week as soon as I took him off his mum at 3wks!

She is very pretty :) WHat about - Crumble, Bailey, Creme, Sugar, Rum and Raisin (Rum for short) Shortcake or Custard :)

hehe much as the names suggested are cute i just cant imagine you leaning in and saying 'come to mummy pudding' :D gorgeous though!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was advised bonding is easier if you bond a really young piggy to an older one. I bonded my boars as soon as the baby was old enough to leave mum and they were fine pretty much immediately. The older one seemed to take on a paternal role.

P.S She is lovely. My first piggy is a chocolate rex. Very similar in look just a bit browner in colour.

I've heard this too. They seem to accept a hierachy more if they are not all mature and wanting to be boss.

That actually DOES make a lot of sense. I think perhaps I will try putting them together and see how they get on!

And oh, I SO would call, 'Come to mummy, Pudding!'.....and would probably do so in a totally RIDICULOUS little baby voice! :oops: :lol: :lol:

I would introduce them all as soon as possible it's better to intro small pigs to big pigs especially if you have say two adults, they can boss the small pigs about and tend not to see them as a threat.

the majority of pig intros go really smoothly and once they've spent 24hours together they'll be fine.

pig intros are easier than any other small animal and i've only ever had one failed bonding in over fifteen years and that was a grumpy neutered male and a female , they just hated each other.

given the ages of the ones you have, i don't expect you'll have any bother at all....just give them a pile of veg to enjoy together and let them get on with it x

Back