• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead Moulting/Patches

DeeDeeHug

Young Bun
Hello all, i'm new and i promise to introduce myself properly in another thread!

I have two lionheads:
tamzalfgarden1.jpg

Alfie
& Tamzin

I'm having a problem with Tamzin's fur, she's around 3 years old and we've had her for two and she has never moulted as much as she is at the moment...i havent any pictures of whats happening but basically her fur started tuffting up and when groomed it came out in handfulls, it got worse and worse and left very very short black fur underneath, i little scurfy but not too bad. Took her to the vets last Thursday and he gave her an injection for mites and some shampoo :roll: we bathed her in warm water in the kitchen sick on Sunday and she totally freaked out. She's a rescue and is cuddley but nervous too :( we rubbed her dry and she tolerated the hairdryer briefly but we just put the heating on and she settle under the radiator....last night she stopped eatin, she had injested so much fur after bathing because she was licking herself constantly.....eventually we got her to eat and she's better this morning.

So I need advice, i am not confident in shampooing her again, it was too traumatic and if she's going to lick herself and injest fur whats the point?

a93ab954.jpg

Help?!!​

Have you tried giving her fresh pineapple? That's supposed to be good for moulting bunnies, and it helps pass fur. It's worked on Lily. She pulls her fur out of her front (she's a self harmer) so she ingests loads of fur, but I gave her pineapple and it flushed it right out :)

I know how troublesome lionheads can be - I currently have 4, and 1 wannabe!!! :lol:

Yes i often feed fresh pineapple but typically Tamzin's not keen out it, Alfie will guzzle all the juice but not her :roll: last time she was ill for 24hours i gave her 5mls of liquid parafin twice and that shifted it :lol:

I give my two buns bromelin tablets from holland and barratt as recommended by Jack's-Jane... It definitely seems to help them pass the fur.

I think unless you give fresh pineapple it doesn't work, ie it can't be tinned or anything like that. Try the tablets, they are relatively cheap too. I just give them one each per day. :)

Hiya,
I've got a very fluffly Lionhead too and sometimes she moults like this too. As long as there is new fur underneath then she should be ok.

I wouldn't bathe her again - seems as if its done more harm than good and if shes having injections for mite treatment, then she shouldn't really need to be shampooed too.

Again, I feed the Holland & Barrats Bromelian tablets to all the buns when they're moulting and I think you see a difference (more fur in their poos!!)

Just thought i better let you know that tamzin is doing fine now. the injection must of done the trick as she has no 'dandruff' type effects anymore!

They're both moulting like crazy though :roll::lol:

Back