• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to use Selective weed killer at my backyard, when can I let my bun out?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
The weed (dandelion) is out of control. I try not to do this but it's been 10 years and my backyard is out of control. If I spray the lawn w/ some weed killer that is selective, and only kill the dandelion (these would be strong weed killer), how many weeks or months would it be, before I can let my bun out to the backyard?

last year a mate asked on an animal friendly one i went on a gardening forum they were great help and found me one safe for people with pets if i rego through my posts ill see if i can find out what it was called

I have Round Up, but RU is non-selective, it kills everything. My dad just bought a bottle for $17 and said it's good, I'm going to read the label to see what it says about pets.

In the end, turns out that my dad bought

http://www.scottscanada.ca/index.cf...t/documentId/25d6e4df9da3a1009a3140bd247ad4fd

and he used half a bottle and gave me the other half. I use it on June 15 at 9 pm, the next morning when I checked the lawn, ALL weed are killed totally. So it's a very powerful weed killer.

I read the fine print, they can cause cancer.

So I still haven't let my bun use the garden even as of now. Scott said I can re-spray once a mth. Obviously I don't need to.

But when can I let my bun go back to the backyard?

You can buy a propane tourch from Wilkinsons which you can use to burn the weeds away which I would think would be safer than any sprays:roll:

Have you had any rain at all since you used it?

I fountained the lawn every 3 to 4 days since Jun 15. But there are quite a bit of rain, so it's actually more than once every 3 to 4 days. The truth is, I only fountain about 4 times or so since Jun 15. The rest is taken care by the rain

Try calling the manufacturer they should know about toxicity to pets :)

those customer service rep. doesn't care. The guideline is going back to that 1 mth. cut off if needed. Meaning, if it can be used every 1 mth., then they assume the effect disappear in 1 mth.

But here's the real spec. sheet in PDF

http://www.scotts.ca/media/media/_PDFs/MSDS/Canada/Killex_RTS.pdf

and it looks like the only section that apply here is Section 11: Toxicological info.

Mutagenicity: Mutagenic effects have occurred in experimental animals

i would leave the dandilions its my buns favourite food to eat!!!! they love it if you care soooo much about the buns welfare why not jjust leave the dandilions there? if you let the buns out they will eat them all anyway...then no more dandilions... much nicer than not giving them a run for a month.which i personally think is sad....(could be wrong them may be getting a run elsewhere i hope so)

that's what I was doing in the past 5 to 6 years, but I never put weedkiller on that lawn for 10 yr., this is the 1st year as it is totally out of control. There are thousands of those weeds, my 2 buns can't eat that much :lol:

Back