• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dead bugs in the hay

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
I know it's a natural product, so to a certain extent it can't be helped, but how many bugs are "normal" to find in a batch of hay??? My latest box of Oxbow has had about 5 so far, and I'm not even half way through the box. :x They are quite big, colourful grasshopper looking things. I have picked out a few myself, but have missed some and found them in Evo's cage. :shock:

well at least they're not alive and parasitic - it's a bit unfortunate they probably had a little swarm of them resting as the cutter came along and they couldn't all get away quick enough. I've found frogs before, but they tend to be loners - Main problem is these dead animals stop the hay drying properly, although insects should dry out fairly quick compared to a frog or mouse. If you're unhappy just complain and I'm sure they'll send another box - it costs enough! :)

i found a rabbit paw in abag of grass i'd bought from a farm-nice!!Needless to say Will didn't get her grass that day!And the farm got an irrate phone call.

I found a workman's glove in my last bale of shavings :shock: Luckily there was no hand inside it (was a bit scared to pull it out) :lol:

To a certain extent I think it's a fact of life - fields of grasses contain numerous insects and small creatures and it would be impossible to ensure that every bale is completely free of stuff.

My vet says she's seen a huge number of rabbits with lice this year, and wonders whether it's because of the wet summer last year meaning they are in the hay.

I found the dried remains of ....something... that I presume was a mouse in a bag that I got from Wilkos in an emergency one day. :shock::( but *touch wood* I've not found anything untoward in the farm hay I get, although they state that there may be string and all sorts in it.

Oh I open a bag of Oxbow orchard grass the other day and found about 6 huge garsshopper/locus type things, scared the hell out of me :shock: :shock: :shock: I emailed the Hay experts who assured me the hay was stored at sufficiently low tempretures to kill them off, but still freaked me out. I had to get my dad to sort through to check there were no more :oops: :oops:

Back