• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I being worried over nothing? Teeth query

Hi all,

just looking for some advice please (and maybe reassurance)

We got a 18mth old female from a reputable rescue at the weekend, and have become worried that she has teeth problems. But don't know if I'm being paranoid...

She has a tendency to move her mouth around a lot, even when not eating - like she is trying to get her jaws/teeth comfortable - or maybe it's a habit she has? We got her health checked at our vet yesterday - all seems okay but they felt two protruding bumps on her lower jaw - possible molar problem? Our vet said just to make sure we check them to know they don't change/get bigger etc.

She'd been spayed a couple of weeks back and rescue said vet'd checked teeth and all was okay - she has no eye or nasal discharge, is very bright considering she's just moved home and is being bonded with our male. She isn't eating a lot, but she's very little so maybe I'm just used to our big boy always scoffing?

Query is, am I being OTT, should I take her back to my vet for 2nd opinion? Ask for xrays? She wouldn't tolerate the scope going into her mouth whilst awake.

Please advise, what do you think?

thanks so much

It could well be her teeth or she could be in pain due to something else (windy tummy etc.). If she were mine, I'd take her back to the vet. Also phone the rescue to see if she has a history of doing the 'teeth/jaw thing'. An experienced rabbit vet would be able to use an otoscope to look into her mouth no matter how wriggly she is.

Have to admit I am always suprised when vets say they couldn't get a look in the mouth. If I can manage it on my own with an Otoscope I'm sure they can with someone holding the rabbit.

Teeth problems can start at anytime in a rabbits life so it's quite possible that her teeth were OK when the rescue last had her dental checked.

As for the grinding, is it just a gentle nosie or can you see her working her whole jaw almost as if something is stuck in her mouth or she finds something distasteful?

Your vets concern about the lumps would be that they were overgrown molar roots and to confirm this you would need a skull x-ray taking. However, there is little that can realistically be done.

I would contact the rescue and voice your concerns and see if they can offer any help, advice or other enlightenment. You could also request access to her medical records from her last dental check to see if that can assist your vet. These will have to be transfered between the vets.

Well, unfortunately, my instincts were right. Took her back to my vet just now - saw a vet more experienced with rabbits and she found a massive hook on the inside of bunny's lower left molar:( so no wonder she's been uncomfortable and not eating:(:(

Vet recommended we take the bunny back to the rescue, as the prognosis probably isn't great - we now have to syringe feed her critical care mix to make up for the lack of food.

Am really sad, she's practically bonded with my boy now, and she's such a sweet soul. But maybe some heartache now, in giving her back, is worth what could be lots of heartache later?

The vet recommended we give her back, I'm not totally decided but am confused. Still need to speak with hubbie, and contact rescue centre where we got her - I'm sure they'll be surprised.

I feel we may end up losing her as even if we get it burred down, we may have to keep getting it done, keep putting her under anaesthetics, keep risking the resultant gut problem, risking abcesses etc etc I know nothing is for sure, am maybe I'm being pessimistic, but we only lost our Angel 3 weeks ago, and don't know if I can take on a bunny with the risks she has, risking another loss...

We've only had her 3 days. I'm really upset:(

I have four dental bunnies and despite the worry no-one could part me from them.
They cost me the earth to maintain but they are worth it because they give back more than money could ever buy.

It is going to be very traumatic for your boy to loose another partner so soon after the first due to one molar spur.....which may be diet related and can therefor be controlled to some extent anyway.

Some bunnies only need a few dentals in their entire lives, my two molar dental bunnies average one dental every 6 months.

If cost is an issue then of course it would not be fair to keep her if you could not provide everything she needs but please dont rush into a decision.

I too have a dental bunny who has to be done about every 4 weeks. He has them done conscious and cost is about £20. A GA is done every few months so they can be done more thorough. He is a happy bunny and would not be without him. It is only an hour once a month and he is fine.

This is excessive I know compared to many other bunnies but he totally refuses hay no matter what I do - it would not be so often if he ate his hay (my other one eats any hay I give to her!). Many bunnies only need them once every 6 months.

However, as Sooz said if you don't feel that you could deal with this or could afford it then it would not be fair to keep her.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I wanted to let you know that we decided to keep our little girl bunny, she had her dental back at the rescue's vet and is fine. She has sloping inwards lower back molars so we may be looking at more dental work in the future, but we'll have to wait and see...

No matter what happens with her teeth in future we shall love her and give her the best home she can have, she is now totally bonded with our boy bunny too.

So, lots more hay and grass to chew on, and not so may pellets from now on.

Will keep you all updated. Thanks for your replies, they helped in our decision making, so much appreciated xxx

I wanted to let you know that we decided to keep our little girl bunny, she had her dental back at the rescue's vet and is fine. She has sloping inwards lower back molars so we may be looking at more dental work in the future, but we'll have to wait and see...

No matter what happens with her teeth in future we shall love her and give her the best home she can have, she is now totally bonded with our boy bunny too.

So, lots more hay and grass to chew on, and not so may pellets from now on.

Will keep you all updated. Thanks for your replies, they helped in our decision making, so much appreciated xxx

Well done on deciding to keep your bunny! I am pleased that she got her dental. I have three dental buns and they do cost me quite a lot as it's one thing insurance doesn't cover, but I love them all to bits. I try to encourage them to eat a lot of roughage to help minimise the need for dentals and I think it does help. Good luck with your new bunny!:)

What fantastic news that you have decided to keep her. This has made my day :D:D:D

Roughage is definately the way forward, I offer my buns a variety of hays and forages to keep them interested but as is sod's law the dental buns are the fussiest and only eat the expensive stuff. :rolleyes:

Fresh veg is also good to some extent as it requires the same side to side chewing motion as hay which helps to keep teeth evenly worn and crown height reduced.

So glad you decided to keep her. Maybe with the right diet she won't have to have that many dentals? My Honey was a rescue bun that we got as a 1 year old. When I had her spayed the vet checked her teeth while she was under the GA and she needed some dental work on her back teeth as she had some spurs. Good news is she is now 4 and has not needed anymore work doing I assume this is because she is now on a proper bunny diet and her previous owner was feeding her the wrong things.
She now eats like a horse :lol: and is on a constant diet :lol: she is the greediest rabbit I have ever owned:roll:

Aw - well done for deciding to keep your rescue bunny.

With such an attentive bunny mummy I am sure she is in the best hands. Godd luck with her in the future.

Vanessa xx

Thank you everyone. She's still doing the funny thing with her jaw - not tooth grinding - just kinda moving it about every so often like something is still uncomfortable - I think the spur had been rubbing on her tongue so maybe it's still a bit sore. Makes me a bit anxious though...but she can't have spurs as she only got it removed a week ago! Maybe it's a habit?!

We've cut right down on the pellets - SupaRabbit excel - mix of Junior and Dwarf and normal ones as she's the dwarf and Merlin's a good sized boy - although he seems to love the Junior and Dwarf ones!!! We're only putting a little drop out and by lunchtime they're finished - so they can only eat hay - is that ok?

They're getting loads of meadow hay, timothy hay and Burgess dried grass and only a little fresh veg in the morning - fresh greens, little bit of parsley sometimes, and broccoli.

Thanks again

she's not a lionhead is she? the reason I ask is my 2 lionheads both move their mouths as if they're eating when they are not and although they are dental bunnies their teeth are (touch wood) fine at the mo - it seems to be a habit with them and although they are not related they both do it :D

Back