• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of a urinary infection?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello friends :wave: (Have changed title of post in the hope somebody will reply)

My little boy hasn't been 100% of late. He has had his teeth checked but I'm going to get some x-rays done of his tooth roots when he has his next dental and check there is nothing going on there.

When I got home yesterday I noticed Harvey was licking his wotsit :oops:and I wondered whether it was irritating him. It was completely sticking out like a little lipstick :oops: his wotsit that is :oops: and he was licking it and I wondered if it was uncomfortable. Then I noticed where he had been laying was a little damp too. He then went in his litter tray for quite a while.

I'm wondering if he could have a UTI or bladder sludge? He has had dark orange wee lately but I know that can be perfectly normal.

Another thing I wanted to ask is whether rantidine/zantac can exacerbate or cause urinary problems as perhaps it alters the ph of the wee? He is on rantidine at the mo.

He has been tested for EC and that was negative.

I have been trying to get a wee sample for a while now unsuccessfully. I am at work all day and I can't catch him when he's having a wee. Also he only does it in his litter tray on top of hay so trying to salvage anything is not easy. Sometimes there is not enough to even get in a syringe.....arrrrgggghhhh!!!

Do you think he could have a UTI or bladder sludge? Could his wotsit :oops: be irritating him? What is the treatment for a UTI? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Last edited:
Hi, I have this issue with Ralph at present.

TO get a wee sample I cleaned out his litter area and replaced it all with no litter.. He jumped back in straight away and wee'd, then i syringed the liquid up, cleaned the litter area again and re-littered. Job Done

Ralph had orange wee and a lot of sludge / sediment.

The Vet checked the sample and found no blood or infection, but suggested I cut down on pellets and calcium rich foods. And concentrated on more veg

hope this helps, any q's just ask

Dave

I've never known a sore whatsit to be a sign of UTI or sludge, etc. UTI usually present as loss of litter training, straining to wee and wet rear end.

I would think it's more likely to be a funagal infection? I'm only guessing though

Thank you for your replies :wave:

What type of fungal infections can buns get down below :oops:

I just thought a sore wotsit :oops:may be sign of a UTI as cystitis etc is supposed to be very painful and I have heard that UTIs can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

Thanks Dave :D Problem I have is that Harv usually goes to the loo when I'm not there:roll: and as he's such a small bunny there is never enought to get into a syringe.

When I felt the area Harv had been laying in it was slightly damp which made me think that perhaps he has a UTI or urinary problem.

Any ideas?

Love,
Nicola and Harvey xxx

What type of fungal infections can buns get down below :oops:

No idea TBH, but thinking of thrush in humans...that causes redness and itching.

I just thought a sore wotsit :oops:may be sign of a UTI as cystitis etc is supposed to be very painful and I have heard that UTIs can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

I've had a few UTIs in my buns over the years, and symptoms have never been a sore whatsit or licking. My UTI buns have all been girls though, so perhaps symptoms are different in boys :?

When I felt the area Harv had been laying in it was slightly damp which made me think that perhaps he has a UTI or urinary problem.

Could just be damp from licking?

Hi :wave:

I think the patch was defo wee as it had that smell about it and it was too damp just to be from him licking :oops:

Any ideas anyone?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Bouncer had UTIs, & suffered from incontinence caused by EC. His back end was wet & stained yellow at it's worst. He stayed in the vets overnight so they could get a urine sample & he had blood tests.

Calel hurt his foot some time back & he did keep licking that constantly, - that was a nail that had caught & torn, so hurt him.

Back