• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on keeping bunny safe

pumsalient

Young Bun
Hi Everyone
I hope someone can offer me some advice. I have a indoor puppy run that is about 2 1/2 - 3 feet high and I want to give my bunny free run of it during the day when I am at work. At night he is free range. It's one of those that is colapsible and you can make into lots of different shapes. I plan to attach his run to his large closed in home but I am worried about whether he will try to jump over the top of the run. He hasn't tried it so far but he is a bit of a jumper and last night jumped onto the settee for the first time. Has anyone tried to attach something over the top of the run to stop this happening? I was thinking of trying to use an old sheet. if anyone has any ideas/photos of their set-ups with this type of run and a 'lid' that would really help me.
Thanks
Sara

i use a plastic mesh from homebase.. you can buy it in 4m widths and as long as you want per metre. its really cheap too :)

a pic of it over the cage
P3090001.jpg

Hi there,

I had a similar problem with Buster...unfortunately he is also a jumper and soon figured out how to jump over the top.

I tried the sheet thing and he figured out how to unclip the sheet. So i then placed some heavy wooden planks over the top so he couldn't jump out: instead he figured out how to actually lift up a panel to unhinge it and push it forwards to OPEN the pen!!!! :roll::lol:

(in the end we just got a big dog crate instead)

So i guess it depends on whether your bun is very determined to escape, and also how your pen closes. I think the best way to create a permanent lid is to knock together some wood rods to create a square frame and stretch wire mesh over the top, attatching with a staple gun. You could even do two smaller panels with a hinge joining them so you can remove the top a bit more easily!

Sorry not to be of more help! Good luck!

i use a plastic mesh from homebase.. you can buy it in 4m widths and as long as you want per metre. its really cheap too :)

I tried this too! Unfortunately my little monster is too determined and simply kept jumping and pushing up until he made a loose point he could squeeze through :roll: Glad it works for you though, itst definately worth a try :D

I tried this too! Unfortunately my little monster is too determined and simply kept jumping and pushing up until he made a loose point he could squeeze through :roll: Glad it works for you though, itst definately worth a try :D

wow you have a proper explorer :shock::shock:

Alvin is too lazy and im not sure pearl would figure it out all by herself :lol::lol::lol::lol:

try building a top for the run out of storage cube squares zip tied together until you have the desired shape and size of your top. Use a clamp from a dog leash( you can purchase them separatley at the hardware or tool stores) These can clip to both the tops and side of the run at the same time thru the wire. I can try to get a photo, but have not figured out how to load any yet! They always say image too big......
We have a mad jumper who can clear a baby gate at 4 months!!

Thanks for all your replies, that's really helpful. I am going to try with a sheet first of all and see if that does that job. Murphy doesn't sound quite as adventurous as Buster so maybe it will do the trick! If not, the plastic netting could be the next step. Has anyone else got any photos of any 'lids' they have improvised with?

just found this really really old pic of when i had the pen only one o have with the lid on though i think (changed the panels round to make the pen 1/2 foot longer and slighlty shorter (about in line with thacage) after thjis pic was taken

gives you an idea though :)

cage5.jpg

Thanks for the photos - you have some great set-ups. I have tried the sheet method this evening and am going to put it to the Murphy test for the day tomorrow to check there are no problems. My husband is at home all day so will be able to keep his eye on him. If that doesn't work I think I will try building something more substantial with mesh. :wave:

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

lionel181007004.jpg

I use this plastic garden trellis type stuff from Squires and it hooks over the pins so they can't get it off, Lolly can easily jump over the side!

Back