• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Baby Bunny possible Stasis.

This is regarding this pair

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130037

I've been watching them and the un-poorly boy started humping the poorly baby.

Should I split them?? I know that it may not help him getting better, if he gets better, but surely being humped isn't going to help either.

I don't know what to do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm tired and losing the will to think :roll:

H xx

Last edited:
How often is it occuring, is any fur being pulled loose, how is the humpee reacting to the humper?

If you split them could you accomodate them next door to each other?

How often is it occuring, is any fur being pulled loose, how is the humpee reacting to the humper?

If you split them could you accomodate them next door to each other?

It happens everytime we leave the room. There isn't any fur pulling but the Little one just sits there (he only weigh 756g and the humper is more than likely double that) I can't really put them next to each other as on hutch is in the hall and the other in another room. It's just not really possible.

Argh, this is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Thanks for replying sooz

H xx

Hiya, only just caught up with this, aww poor you and bless you for what you are doing. My gut feeling would be to separate, beacuse if the little chap has stasis the stress of humping will make him worse and if, on the other hand he is improving he may retaliate. Two un neutered males in my opinion should not be allowed together. If they have a big scrap there is little or no chance in my experience of getting them back together.

On the stasis front, do you have any fresh pineapple (not tinned)? I used the juice and mixed it with metaclop & recovery for Nushka and it worked a treat.

Best of luck to you xx

Hiya, only just caught up with this, aww poor you and bless you for what you are doing. My gut feeling would be to separate, beacuse if the little chap has stasis the stress of humping will make him worse and if, on the other hand he is improving he may retaliate. Two un neutered males in my opinion should not be allowed together. If they have a big scrap there is little or no chance in my experience of getting them back together.

On the stasis front, do you have any fresh pineapple (not tinned)? I used the juice and mixed it with metaclop & recovery for Nushka and it worked a treat.

Best of luck to you xx

That is what I though. I told her it wasn't a good idea to have 2 chaps together :roll:

I think I'm going to split them.

*i wanna go to bed*

Thanks

It's a fact that rabbits recover better when their companions are with them.

If they were both well I would recommend you seperating them without hesitation but Im worried it may affect his recovery, although most likely the larger one is taking advantage of his weakened state to assert his dominance :?

Do you have a teddy and a snuggle safe you could pop in with the little guy? Maybe rub it against his friend first so it smells familiar.

I am using one of those warmer things you put in the microwave to warm up but it's filled with wheat, and it's wrapped in a towel. He's happily laying on it.
He's finally laid down as well. Not just hunched in a ball, poor little mite is probably shattered.

I'm just worried about the larger one humping him, as he's so fragile and bony. I'm so scared of breaking him when I pick him up :cry:

He's still having fluid regularly and has random munches on hay. No pooping yet, but there were some little teeny tiny poops earlier which I think were his as Pidge (the health heffer) were much bigger.

His ears feel warmer now than what they were earlier, and the vet said he had a slightly low temperature, but nothing to be overly worried about.

Tonight is going to be crucial for him.

*hopes he gets better*

H xx

Im not sure if I made it clear in my last post, I do think all things considered you should seperate them but give him a teddy for company and watch him for signs of pinning....though to be honest they would be much the same as he is anyway :(

Sending (((VIBES))) for the little guy x

Im not sure if I made it clear in my last post, I do think all things considered you should seperate them but give him a teddy for company and watch him for signs of pinning....though to be honest they would be much the same as he is anyway :(

Sending (((VIBES))) for the little guy x

Thanks Sooz, I'm going to split them. I've dug out 2 teddies for them and will see how it goes.

H xx

awww sorry Heidi. I'm not experienced much in the whole things but it sounds like you are making the right decision to me. Go and get some kip ;)

I also would split them now - we have had troubles in the past with even well bonded pairs where one starts humping and domineering the other when they are very ill indeed (once while one was terminal stages of EC, and once when one had actual gut blockage). In both instances it was the same male who did it (first to his lifelong sister bond and then to a second bond). If the male is a very donminant male they will do this and it is really very very stressful to the ill one. In both instances we did seperate him off, and the females looked SO relieved when we did so. They were too ill to really miss him to be honest, and just happy to be left alone. However we did put him in a next door cage to maintain contact.
Good Luck tonight - I do so hope he makes it through.

They are split now, both seem happy.

Rambo seems comfortable.

I'm going to bed, it's been a stressful and expensive day :shock: :?

Nighty Night :)

H xx

ps, tarrr for all the support everyone has given :thumb: x

How are these two today? And how are you - hope you got some sleep!! For the skinny bunny you could give him a small sprinkle of porridge oats on his pellets to help build him up. There is some debate over whether they should be given dry or wet though. I have used them dry in small quantities - I think its just down to knowing not to give too much as they swell in bunnies tummy. x

They are ok.
The little one is still with us. He has eaten and peed over night and there are some reeeaaalllly teeny tiny poops.

I'm shattered, didn't sleep much. Roll on bed time!

H xx

He's doing ok. Still quiet, still podgy bellied, but he's eating more and having fluids. He' pooing as well, though not much.

He's off to the vets again later so we shall see if she think he's improving.

I'm alright. Tired but oh well!

thanks!

H xx

We have Poo!!!! :D

He's eating well and is perking up slowly.

He's been to the vets this evening and she was really impressed with the improvement he's made. He's had another gut stimulant and may need another one in 48 hours.

He's such a little fighter.

I am really broke now though. I've asked me mum for £30 til I get paid :lol: :oops: :oops:

I will post some piccies of him tomorrow.

H xx

woo, gotta love a bit of poo! :lol:

Oh yeah!!!!

Just been out picking grass and dandelions from the fields for him (advised by the vet) and we looked like right t***ts :lol:

He's drinking by himself now aswell!!

I want to be so happy, but i'm scared i'll jinx it.

H xx

Back