• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stray rabbit UD needs dental UD with pictures

jenzel5

Mama Doe
We have a stray rabbit in at work. It is very jumpy. I went to pick it up to see how friendly it was. It jumped so I let it go then tried again and it grunted at me. Anyway, I was thinking about fostering it and finding it a home if no one has claimed it in a couple of days. But I have my 2 to worry about and have no extra cage or money to keep it long. And my oh isn't happy about me bringing it home for long but if it stayed for a night or 2 it would be ok. I was wondering if anyone near me could help if needs be. I know there is a rescue in Bradford which is closest to me. I want to help but don't have the time to give this bunny the extra care and love I think it will need. If you feel you can help or offer any advice it would be great, thanks.

Last edited:
Definitely get hold of it - you could take it to a local vet surgery or rescue centre. Please don't leave it out on its own!

Good luck! :)

AMETHYST

Sorry I will explain a little better. I work at a vets and it came in as a stray so dont worry, it is safe. But I don't know what will happen to it if no one comes forward so I will have it for a night or 2 until it can go to a shelter or new home. I just want to help it and find it a good home!

Have you contacted rescues in your local area:D, while it is in the vets would there be any chance of it being neutered as this would really help a rescue out.

Thought I would update you about this rabbit. Im a bit upset hardly anyone has replied:cry:. The rabbit was checked over today and needs a dental doing. I have saved this rabbit as the vet spoke about it maybe being a pts:cry: and I really don't want this so said I would do research on getting funding for the dental to be done. He also said that no one would want to rehome it as it may need dentals in the future but I said there are lots of people that may want to help. So what can be done? I rang the rspca but couldn't speak to the lady as I wasn't there when she rang back. I also rang a rescue but no answer so will try again. I am not in at work tomorrow so want to ring in to see what is being done for the rabbit. Anyone have any more advice on what I can do for the poor thing? It hasn't eaten much today. I took in carrot, parsley, spring greens and rocket and some little treats but it didn't really bother too much. Anything else I can do to help? Also, it seems so scared. Im wondering whether this is another reason why it won't eat and don't know what I can do to make it feel safe. I took a sneaky photo and will try and post later when I find the lead for my phone.

I wish I could help but I cant afford to take on another dental bunny at the moment.

If a rescue would offer support for rehoming then I would however happily foster the little guy for them until they had room.

Poor bunny. I'm sorry it needs a dental. Could you not try some grated carrot or some mashed banana. Perhaps it is finding it difficult to eat as well as being scared.

I tried some baby food. She licked a little but thats all. I tried syringe feeding her but she would have none of it.

:cry: So your vet will put the bun down if someone doesn't pay for his dental ? does he think he'll need dentals every few weeks ?

My vet thought my bun was going to need constant dentas :( thankfully though in 16 months with lots of hay and a better diet he's needed none :D

Well if no one will pay for the dental then I don't think they will do it for free as if we gave all stray animals treatment for free then they would lose a lot of money and they also thought it would be very hard to rehome. We have said that with a better diet it may not need more dentals but there is still the possibility. Also it isn't the most loving bunny as of yet so would need an experienced owner. She is ok once picked up but looks scared and is jumpy when you try and pick her up.

Would your vets consider getting her neutered and doing her teeth whilst under? A good diet may mean she doesn't need another? Hope you get her sorted hon.x

I don't think they would neuter her unless again if it can be funded for. Right now I just want to make sure the dental is done as it might save her life but will ask about neutering aswell. I don't know whether this will be funded for though. Worth a try.

Is there a rescue near you who could take her? If she's a stray would the PDSA do a dental?

Good luck with helping this bun.

I was off work yesterday and away for the day but will update you all on what is going on with this bunny. I hope it is still ok. If it hasnt eaten then i fear the worse and it hadn't done any poos or weas the first day. Will reply to all your pm's at dinner when I find out and speak to rspca today. Thanks everyone!!

Hello again. Thought I would update you all on the bunny. I think the rspca will fund the dental which is good. It has done its first wees this morning but no poos and it has been in over 2 days but I hope that the wees are a good sign. It is eating better. Nibbling on hay and even ate the treats I put in for her but it takes a while for her to eat these. The next step will be for her to pull through a GA when she's well enough and to find a foster home. Im hoping the rescue in Bradford will take her but am unsure about this and I can only have her for a couple nights.

Will the RSPCA not be wanting to have her signed over if they are to fund her dental? They normally wont pay for treatment unless the animal is 'legally" theirs.

Im so pleased she has perked up though :D

Will the RSPCA not be wanting to have her signed over if they are to fund her dental? They normally wont pay for treatment unless the animal is 'legally" theirs.

Im so pleased she has perked up though :D

I don't know. I spoke to the woman today and she said that it's good if I can help find her a new home so I'm guessing that she doesn't have to be signed over.

Can I ask is it a good sign that she is weeing today and should I expect poos to follow or does this not always happen?

I don't know. I spoke to the woman today and she said that it's good if I can help find her a new home so I'm guessing that she doesn't have to be signed over.

Can I ask is it a good sign that she is weeing today and should I expect poos to follow or does this not always happen?

It's good that she is weeing but bunnies in stasis will still pass water, it's just their GI tract that shuts down.

Has she had some metaclopromide and metacam?

Back