• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Loose poo!!! - U/D seems ok this morning

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Help! I have just come home to find three big splodges of Diarreah (sp) in the bunny room. It is from Sweetpea. No changes in diet so what could have caused this? Is it time for an emergancy vet?

I have never had any problem with my buns poo before and am slightly panicing!

Last edited:
Help! I have just come home to find three big splodges of Diarreah (sp) in the bunny room. It is from Sweetpea. No changes in diet so what could have caused this? Is it time for an emergancy vet?

I have never had any problem with my buns poo before and am slightly panicing!

How is Sweetpea within herself?

Janex

hiya, i do know that if a bun gets the runs its classed as a medical emergency.
but i did get myself in a tis when shauny did what i thought was the runs, until my o/h took a closer look and found out it was a very squishy poo which had been smeared.
someone will have more advice tho.
hope ur buns ok. loads of hugs
x

She seems fine, and she is eating hay. It's just out of the blue as I have never had this problem before and nothing has changed.

She seems fine, and she is eating hay. It's just out of the blue as I have never had this problem before and nothing has changed.

Try not to panic !! Is the poo unformed caecotrophs or is it actually 'proper' liquidy diarrhoea?
Unformed caecotrophs can occur when a Bun has molar spurs......I know, soreness at one end causing problems a t'other........:rolleyes:

As she's eating and 'well within herself' just keep her on hay and water for 24 hours. If you can locate any Blackberry leaves a few of those ( well washed) will help her tum. A probiotic would be useful too, especially Fibreplex. Hopefully things will then settle down but if she has more diarrhoea after 24 hours or becomes unwell within herself then I'd pop her along to the Vet.

Janex

Thanks Jane!

It smells like caecotrophs

It isn't watery, just splodgy, stickly and smelly. I guess it is the cosistancy of just melted chocolate :? :oops: When I was cleaning her she was trying to groom me and doesn't seem any different. She is a nethie so I am always worried about teeth problems, it has been about 5 months since her last check up, she has never been a big hay eater so we have to be strict with her food.

I actually threw some fiberplex away about a week ago :roll:

I will keep an eye on her and see how she is overight.

Hi Louise, poor Sweetpea, hope she is ok soon. I have some fibreplex if you want to pop round to collect. I'm in tonight, at work tomorrow but I could always leave some inside the porch for you? Love Claire x

sounds more like sticky poops - if mine start leaving one or 2 I cut their dry food right back, and give less veg - it's a good barometer. with nethies being so chunky shaped as well it can sometimes be harder for them to reach underneath, so they often do them on the floor then turn around and eat them - well if there's anything more interesting to eat, or if something startles them, they leave them - hopefully she's just done that for some reason :)

It isn't usual excess c poops, more runny than that :?

Anyway I have some probiotic which I have given her, thanks Claire x

No more mess since I went out....she is still eating hay

Well Sweetpea seems fine this morning, no more loose poo, she's eating fine. I will keep her just on hay/water today and give her some more probiotic. Fingers crossed it was just a passing thing.

Still would like to know what caused it. I have booked her in the vets saturday for a checkup and her myxi jab.

Thanks guys, sorry for the panic :oops:

Well Sweetpea seems fine this morning, no more loose poo, she's eating fine. I will keep her just on hay/water today and give her some more probiotic. Fingers crossed it was just a passing thing.

Still would like to know what caused it. I have booked her in the vets saturday for a checkup and her myxi jab.

Thanks guys, sorry for the panic :oops:

Glad to hear that her tum has settled down now :) I'd ask the Vet to check her teeth during her check-up.

Janex

Glad to hear that her tum has settled down now :) I'd ask the Vet to check her teeth during her check-up.

Janex

Yeah I will do, there is only one good vet at the practice so I have to make sure I see him :roll: I told them I wouldn't go back unless I saw who I wanted to :oops:

Yeah I will do, there is only one good vet at the practice so I have to make sure I see him :roll: I told them I wouldn't go back unless I saw who I wanted to :oops:

I know what you mean, I had an encounter with a non Bunny savvy Vet at the weekend............:shock: :? :roll:

Janex

Yeah I read about that :shock:

When I took Gus with Syphilis the good vet wasn't on, the vet I saw laughed when I said I thought it was Syhilis and said it must be because I was keeping them in dirty conditions :shock: :shock: I complanied and wasn't charged for appointments for the rest of the treatment and there is a note on my file that I will only see 2 vets :)

Back