• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Journey (a lovely but long verse)

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
When you bring a rabbit into your life, you begin a journey - a journey that will bring you more love and devotion than you have ever known, yet also test your strength and courage.

If you allow, the journey will teach you many things, about life, about yourself and most of all, about love. You will come away changed forever, for one soul cannot touch another without leaving its mark.

Along the way, you will learn much about savouring life's simple pleasures - jumping in leaves, snoozing in the sun, the joys of dandelions and even the satisfation of grooming a moulting bunny!

You will find yourself doing silly things that your pet-less friends might not understand: you will lay on the grass making 'kissing' noises, pick 'weeds' in the park that your little friend might enjoy, fill in a hole for the umpteenth time whilst bunny rapidly digs it out again - all in the name of love.

Your house will become hairier. You will wear less dark clothing and buy more lint rollers. You may find rabbit pellets in your pocket or purse and feel the need to explain that the chewed wicker basket that adorns your living room floor is there because the rabbit likes it!

You will learn the true measure of love - the steadfast, undying kind that says "it doesn't matter where we are, what we do or how life treats us, as long as we're together". Respect this always. It is the most precious gift any living soul can give another. You will not find it often among the human race.

And you will learn humility. The look in my bunny's eyes often made me feel ashamed. Such joy and love at my presence. She saw not some flawed human who could be cross and stubborn, moody or rude, but only her wonderful companion.

If you pay attention and learn well, when the journey is done, you will not be just a better person, but the person your bunny always knew you to be - the one they were proud to call beloved friend.

I must caution you that this journey is not without pain. Like all paths of true love, the pain is part of loving. For as surely as the sun sets, one day, your dear companion will follow a trail you cannot yet go down.

And you will have to find the strength and love to let them go. A pet's time on earth is far too short - especially for those that love them. We borrow them really, just for a while, and during these brief years, they are generous enough to give us all their love, every inch of their spirit and heart, until one day there is is nothing left.

Deep down, we somehow always knew that this journey would end. We knew that if we gave our hearts, they would be broken.

But give them we must, for it is all they ask in return. When the time comes, and the road curves ahead to a place we cannot see, we give one final gift and let them run on ahead. "Godspeed, good friend" we say, until our journey comes full circle and our paths cross again.

Anon - and now there are tears streaming down my face and I can't see to type!! It made me cry so I guess it will make some of you bawl too.

Why can I not get through a day without cryiong anymore? Thats the second time today now :cry::cry:

Beautiful.

Back