• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 rabbits - something I said I would never do! help

wingnut

New Kit
Hi

Last time I asked for advice about bonding a happy pair with another rabbit the replies I got made me say I would never do it, but now I have just taken in a third female (long story as to why I agreed) and am starting the process.

I know it is not a good time of year to do it. So far I am not sure I have the strength to do it. I am very over protective of my pair and the new girl is so timid and has been alone for four years. Each time the two females have met my lovely, but very dominant bun, has terrified the new girl and it is upsetting to watch. I feel so guilty about the whole thing.

The only neutral space is the bathroom and my boyfriend has refused to let me use it so far (annoying as it was him who said yes to the new girl). It is made even worse as my girl is very broody and nesting and therefore even more protective.

I am thinking I should just keep them apart until she seems to have stopped being broody and then try again with a totally neutral space.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has successfully done this and whose bunnies have not been irreparably damaged by the process :(

Thanks for responding.

I know this will be frowned upon but I can't bring myself to nueter my first girl. I feel, when I have more space, she should be allowed to be a mum. I go over this all the time because I hate to see her broody when she can't be a mum yet. The boy has been castrated as he came from a rescue place and I did not have to make the decision. The new girl has not been done.

I know I am making life harder for myself. My pet owning philosophy is to try and give them everything they would naturally have and want and let them rule most of the time, but obviously keep them safe.

You've got 9! I have a really good relationship with my first pair will this be lost when I bond the third?

I know spaying decreases the risk of cancer, but I still feel uncomfortable about her never being a mum. I do think about this decision a lot because I also realise there are a lot of unwanted buns and bringing more into the world might be unethical, but I know she would make a great mum....

I'll think about this again all night and probably feel guilty either way

I know spaying decreases the risk of cancer, but I still feel uncomfortable about her never being a mum. I do think about this decision a lot because I also realise there are a lot of unwanted buns and bringing more into the world might be unethical, but I know she would make a great mum....

I take it you also know that her first litter will probably die?

And that if she's a over a year old having a litter could kill her?

Why do you feel guilty? ive had rabbits all my life none of them of ever had a litter,there much healther friendly pets once neutered and i wouldnt attempt to bond untill they were all neutered

There is one glaring question that I feel needs answering here: Why on earth are you going through the trauma of bonding 3 females (a difficult combi to start with let alone with hormones involved) if you plan on splitting them in future anyway?

The chance of a re-bond will be virtually nul.

Last edited:
Oh yes ive just read that bit, this is what i had read. :?

I dont know then. Either way I would have still thought it unfair to put them all through that stress only to seperate them in order to breed from the original female, which would have to be soon, as she is already 'too old' to be a first time mum in most breeds.

I dont know then. Either way I would have still thought it unfair to put them all through that stress only to seperate them in order to breed from the original female, which would have to be soon, as she is already 'too old' to be a first time mum in most breeds.

I agree. I wasnt trying to question you by the way was just trying to work out what was what lol :lol: Either way any unspayed females be it 1, 2 or 3 is asking for trouble in my opinion and like you say unfair when they are split.

I agree. I wasnt trying to question you by the way was just trying to work out what was what lol :lol: Either way any unspayed females be it 1, 2 or 3 is asking for trouble in my opinion and like you say unfair when they are split.

No worries, I didn't think you were. :)

The last thing I want tonight is anymore virtual fisticuffs, my wrist hurts from typing all day :lol::lol:

Thanks, there were two very valid questions amongst them that have helped me - why feel guilty? and why put the rabbits through the stress if they could be split up in the future?

I will feel guilty about spaying and I don't think it is a bad thing to feel that way about choosing to take away the most natural instinct. The reality is I'll have to toughen up to this if I am going to keep rabbits from now on and be good at it.

The second question has only one sensible answer - don't put them through it unless it is for good. I have two big sheds decked out for the rabbits so I wasn't bonding due to lack of hutch space but rather so they could all have as much time out in the same area as possible, as I can't fence the area into two spaces. I need to do what is best for them now we've got 3 and that is going to be spaying, but even if no one else understands why, I still feel really bad about it!

While breeding is the most natural thing for any species...you don't find every human being popping out children just because it's 'our right' :?:?:?
I don't think breeding can be justified because people feel that their animal deserves to be a mother.

The best thing you can do for your rabbits is to neuter. I don't think you need to feel guilty about her not having a litter as....she doesn't know the difference anyway!!! and I would feel far more guilty bringing rabbits with no genetic history or real purpose into this world when so many need homes anyway. :?:?:?:?

Thanks, there were two very valid questions amongst them that have helped me - why feel guilty? and why put the rabbits through the stress if they could be split up in the future?

I will feel guilty about spaying and I don't think it is a bad thing to feel that way about choosing to take away the most natural instinct. The reality is I'll have to toughen up to this if I am going to keep rabbits from now on and be good at it.

The second question has only one sensible answer - don't put them through it unless it is for good. I have two big sheds decked out for the rabbits so I wasn't bonding due to lack of hutch space but rather so they could all have as much time out in the same area as possible, as I can't fence the area into two spaces. I need to do what is best for them now we've got 3 and that is going to be spaying, but even if no one else understands why, I still feel really bad about it!

wingnut;2471911 You've got 9! I have a really good relationship with my first pair will this be lost when I bond the third?[/QUOTE said:
Not necessarily - a lot of my 9 don't really like me:lol:, but a few are as friendly as they came to me, despite not getting as much of my attention as they would in a home with 2 buns. Some of my bun-to-me relationships have improved on introduction of a bun. Calel follows Treacle's lead & is generally less aggressive & Suki's confidence has improved no end thanks to Alistair.

What would you plan to do with your rabits offspring. Im guessing you would feel the same aout any babies they had and want them to have young to? Where would you end the cycle because chances are 50/50, girls/boys and in the long term thats a lot of bunnies! I have a female and she is so happy with her male patner that I never feel any guilt.:)

Back