• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using vinegar cleaning

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I want to use vinegar to clean part of Maisie and Bambers hutch as they have in the past wee'd over the edge of their litter tray (I have now bought them one which has higher sides).

What kind of vinegar do I buy?
What is the ratio for diluting it?
After using the solution do you then rince it off with plain water?

I am presuming vinegar is the best thing to get rid of the wee smell as I don't want to attract flies.

Rabswood

If you've fixed the problem and they're not doing it again, you could just do as I did when Benny did same - I just gave it a spray with 10% bleach mix I use for cage cleaning, and left it to dry - it didn't smell at all after that - it's only if they keep doing it and it never dries out that it will get smelly :)

i've heard off Sooz (fountain of ALL rabbit knowledge!) that white vinegar is good and i tend to use it very very strong!! i don't *think* the strength matters and don't think it's essential to rinse with water.

you could always PM Sooz or advice...

(hope that's ok Sooz!!) x

I use both malt or white vinegar ina 50:50 solution and never have had a problem. If I am spraying onto light things I will always use white, but in hutches or on plastic trays malt is fine and cheaper ;)

I use white vinegar and lemon juice. I tend to use 25% Vinegar, 25% lemon juice and 50% water.

The lemon juice takes away the strong vinegar smell and as it's acidic itself aids the cleaning.

white vinegar and i use it neat in cage but rinse it with boiling water.Dont think thats necessary but its my preference.

I use white vinegar and lemon juice. I tend to use 25% Vinegar, 25% lemon juice and 50% water.

The lemon juice takes away the strong vinegar smell and as it's acidic itself aids the cleaning.

The lemon juice is a good idea. I hate the smell of vinegar

:wave: HI, I USE WHITE VINEGAR TOO IN POPPYS LITTER TRAYS AND THE ODD OCCASION ON THE FLOOR.HAVE EVEN USED IT ON MY LEATHER SETTEE, SMELLS STRONG FOR A WHILE BUT BETTER THAN BUNNY WEE:oops::lol:.

Thanks everyone. Will def try white vinegar or cider vinegar and lemon juice for the litter trays.

Rabswood

Back