• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plans, plans, plans...

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi guys

Ok, so I am planning all the bits and pieces for Hunny and Mustard's love nest, and I have a ton of questions...:)

Its going to be situated on the patio (6'x9' aviary), but I would like to grow a large tray of alfalfa and timothy in there, so they can pick when they fancy - will that work?

I also remember someone mentioning on here that they had a 'dig-box' so their rabbits could satisfy their natural urge to excavate. How big, how deep and what material should I fill it with?

I would like to put a second floor in, but I am worrying about Mustard's habit of jumping off things:roll:, so what height would you recommend as a maximum for a mezzanine bun-floor?

I also fancy the idea of having a small wooden bench in there for me and my hubby to sit and spend time with the buns - should I avoid any particular woods, finishes etc?

Cant wait to have it all done and finished!!!:rabbit2::bunny:

Carmen

I'm glad it all seems to be working out for you. The aviary on ebay looks great! If you're going to grow stuff in trays for Hunny and Mustard, you might want to grow several so that you can rotate them. If they're anything like my buns, they'll nibble anything green down to the roots within hours (if not minutes) so you'll find a tray of grass will need some time to recover before you can put it back in with them again - otherwise you'll have a lovely tray of mud! Although that could then double up as their 'digging corner' lol!

As for a digging area, to be honest, I've offered this to mine before but they tend not to use it much. I've used peat/compost and sand but all they do is use it as a toilet and it's much harder to clean than a litter tray. I find it's always the females that dig most anyway, and if they're spayed, they tend not to dig quite so much. As long as they've got litter trays filled with hay to lay in, I think you'll find they'll be happy enough.

I have a mezzanine level in my shed/aviary and it's approximately 3 foot high. It has a 'lip' to stop their trays from sliding onto the floor and I've yet to see them attempt to jump from that height. They have a ramp up to the mezzanine and then I've also made shelves which hold litter trays in a stepped fashion down to the run floor. I usually find them either at mezzanine level or floor level - rarely inbetween. They DO love, however, a set of plastic caravan steps to sit on. They're big steps which they can sit underneath should they wish to and I've stuck an old backdoor mat to the top to cover the holes. They absolutely love it and are both usually found sat on it, right up against the wire where they are 'on guard'. Go to any camping or caravan shop and you can pick them up for about £8. It's also handy for me to sit on when I'm in the run with them.

Best of luck with everything and glad to hear your little boy is feeling a bit better!

Back