• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another question about dentals (sorry)

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Crystals in for another dental tomorrow bless her shes having them roughly every month shes 3 years old so is still a young rabbit but what worrys me is what would happen when shes older? like 7/8 (if shes still here) surely it would be dangerous to place her under aneasthetic at such an age so how could she continue having dentals? :? i really am clueless when it comes to dentals :oops:

I have dental buns and I just don't think that far ahead :)

I know of rabbits that have had dentals regularly for eight years, but obviously it depends on the bunny. Having them every month is quite a strain for some buns and will take it's toll on them. Others tolerate having them so regularly just fine. I wouldn't concern yourself with four years down the line, just enjoy her while she is here :)

Tree's Zippy is about 8 I think and has dentals every four weeks. She's reached the stage where they have had so much work done the teeth are just falling out of their own accord because the roots are so damaged.

Tree's Zippy is about 8 I think and has dentals every four weeks. She's reached the stage where they have had so much work done the teeth are just falling out of their own accord because the roots are so damaged.

That is what is happening with one of mine...but he's only around 3. Providing they are willing to live on soft foods I think they can have relatively normal lifespans. :shock:

Teeth don't necessarily fall out because of age...young rabbits can have terrible teeth, especially if they haven't been fed a great diet or have an illness like pasteurella.

Your buns teeth might not get any worse with age, but the GA becomes more risky with age.

You will have to risk a GA or find a vet who can do conscious dentals... One of my rabbits has recently developed teeth trouble at 5 years of age. So far she has had dentals under GA, but I'm going to have her next one done conscious because of the short time between each dental is too risky for a GA every time.

Crystals problem is she doesnt eat hay im currently going to try her on diffrent hays but she does eat grass daily, but if im honest Crystals diet was abit poo for the first 18 months of her life basically because i was clueless! i am uncertain if her teeth are genetic though as when she had 5 babies 2 1/2 years ago 2 babies of which i know ended up with teeth problems :(

ive been told of a good rabbit vet in Newcastle problem is i live a good half hour away and i would have to beg either my mum or dad to drive me there, my current vet isnt clueless on rabbits but isnt totally clued up on them either but shes been great with my buns since the beginning will ask about concious dentals as im sure this would be better in the long run.

I would not have a vet that isn't 100% with rabbits attempt a conscious molar dental :shock::shock:

It can do far more harm than good and it's also worth remembering there is no way of protecting the soft tissue from the burr inside the mouth. There is a main vein running across the inside of both cheeks :?

Rabbits who have conscious dentals tend to need them more frequently due to them not being as thorough as GA dentals.

If you can find a very good and confident vet then perhaps you could use a combination of both with a GA dental every few months and conscious ones in-between.

Personally i'd have thought a concious dental was fairly cruel? How many people do you know that are scared of dentists and panic at the sound of the drill :)wave: me for one!) let alone a rabbit that doesn't understand what you're doing is for the best. :?
JMO

I am very wary of conscious dentals, and not sure I would allow it to be done on my buns. I know other people do though and seem to have encountered no problems.

I think I know which vets you are referring to.... but can I suggest you ask for the specific rabbit vet in particular as the advice my friend was given from them this week was questionable.

il just stick with the dentals under GA :oops::oops: i feel so thick when it comes to dentals i keep saying things that are actually dangerous :shock: god help my rabbits if i didnt have this forum! :oops:

Don't worry...conscious dentals are no more dangerous than GA dentals if your vet knows what they're doing. :D

I personally don't think it's fair to put a rabbit under GA every month for it's entire life, but that's just IMO

We have all the dental Honeybunnies done without GA..no probs at all..
however I have known several people in the last year that have lost their bun either during or as a result of, a GA dental

Well my Alfie was a dental bun he had to have his teeth done every 6-8 weeks he always recovered really well untill the last time when he died under GA i know theres always a risk but it was very upsetting:(
He was only 4 years old

I agree with this too

I agree with this too. One of mine has conscious ones about every 4 weeks. he had one with GA just before Xmas and they were as bad 4 weeks later!

It is hard to find a vet who will do a conscious molar dental. I only know of mine in my area.

There are risks with both methods and you have to weigh that up yourself and it would also depend on your bunny.

After mine has had has conscious dental he comes straight into the garden and eats the grass no problems.

Back