• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm going mad

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
I've not a good night sleep in ages. If I'm not worrying about something getting in the garden and taking my bunnies, and jumping out of bed every time the security light comes on (Bobby set it off last night just by running around his hutch) then I'm being woken up by Biscuit & Wuzzle's thumping :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

They only started a few weeks back, but Ive not slept though. I'm so scared of the neighbours hearing em too and being woken up. I've no idea why they do it, but if we get up and see to em then they stop, but we can't do that EVERY night. I was in tears last night, coz as soon as they stopped Ozzy started too. He's in the flat too, so the guy downstairs more than likely was woken up by his thumping.

I've no idea what to do :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi

I can understand, it must be really worrying especially if they start thumping. Are you able to bring the hutch inside and have them as house bunnies? I have an outdoor hutch but in the house. I made my own run which colapsses back when you don't want it out by cutting a puppy plan pen in half and attaching each bit to the side of the cage with wire and then padlocking it in the middle for easy access.

Sound soo like me :shock: Rhia stamps too, seems to do it every night for a few weeks then stop, then start again a couple of weeks later. Last night I was up four or five times (Try not to go out to them though, once they know you'll pay them a visit every time they thump - you'll never sleep again!) Just make sure nothing is around thats scaring them etc, then I shout out of the window & use a kinda 'Im very mad' voice which she isnt used to (Sounds awful I know..) The one good thing Ive realised is that nobody ever ever thinks that all that racket is coming from a hutch :D As for being paranoid about something hurting them, Im terrible at the minute...I think its reading the increasing stories about it on here :( Also really wary about them digging out of their run when their on the grass, so Im up & down all the time checking them...Not got a cure for that yet hun sorry, its driving me crackers too! :rolleyes: Hope you sleep well soon XXX

I live in a rented 1 bedroom flat. I don't have the space to have house bunnies. It's bad enough with Lily & Ozzy.
My garden backs onto woodlands & a stream. We have birds of prey and someone told my neighbour to tell us that they've seen a fox down the beck too, so I worry constantly. It was bad enough when we had a magpie in the garden (It keeps coming back and sitting on the runs) Me & OH won't leave the bunnies in the runs because of all the wildlife, and the fact Nibbles digs. She'll be the first one to get eaten by a giant bird :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

They're stomping now coz there's a starling in the tree

You can line the hutch with carpet to muffle the sound of the thumping. This will really work.

And then make sure the hutch is as secure as it possibly could be- extra mesh/bolts/padlocks etc etc. Maybe screens so the rabbits can't see the foxes.

You can line the hutch with carpet to muffle the sound of the thumping. This will really work.

And then make sure the hutch is as secure as it possibly could be- extra mesh/bolts/padlocks etc etc. Maybe screens so the rabbits can't see the foxes.

The hutch floors are already carpeted and we have padlocks on the hutches already. I've thought about putting something over the wire at the bottom of the hutch. We have 2 teir hutches

Polystrene between the hutch and the ground or under the hutch floor maybe help muffle noise. You can buy sheets for going under fishtanks in aquatics shops :D

Benny thumps when there's a tiny moth in his hutch, and in his other hutch he used to get mice visiting at night - so he thumped at them too :roll:

I know how you feel - I went through this when we knew we had a fox visiting - I too was up and down all night , and in fact used to sit up between 11 nand 12 and then again 2.30 and 3.30 - which were the two times we had seen it on its 'rounds'.

We put solid 'wood' screens over the front of the hutches so the rabbits could not see the fox if it came, and as the hutches are set within wired 'aviary' style runs once they could not see it they were not so worried - as it cannot get close enough to sniff or scrabble at them (the hutches are well away from the run sides).

Now we have electric wire running round the aviary runs and over the tops of it we have not seen the fox again! To be honest its the electric wiring all round that let me get a decent nights sleep again

It's not the fox that keeps me up. I've not actually seen it, and its definately not been in my garden while I've been living there, its just the thumping.

Biscuit & Wuzzle both have sticky eyes at the minute. Could that be the reason they're thumping??

Back