• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Probably a daft Q asked many times before but.....................

Anita

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know of any outdoor plants that are both safe for rabbits BUT also that rabbits do not like???????

I am tearing my hair out with our garden and resorted to 10 hanging baskets just to get some colour into it. My last Bun didnt bother with our rockery so when he died 2 years ago we had a lovely array of heathers, alpines, bedding plants the lot, now we have earth, stones and burrows! The only thing they didnt touch were a few measly daffodills. I tried planting a boring looking Hosta last week but it has now been nicely trimmed back to the stalks:evil::evil: so yesterday I planted some sunflowers that my 7 year old has grown and some busy lizzies, when my O/H asked me what I was doing I replied "just planting some rabbit food" :lol::lol: Am I asking too much, surely there are one or two plants out there????

I think didfferent rabbits probably like different things :? A lot of people seem to resort to putting a little chicken wire fence around their bedding.

A lot of people seem to resort to putting a little chicken wire fence around their bedding.

Had thought about this but our garden is tiny and our 2 are jumpers so we would need it at least 3-4 ft high. I just hoped there might be a plant or 2?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Your garden sounds just like mine!! Hanging baskets if they don't eat the plants while you are sitting down planding them!!

Mine never seem interested in Mexican Orange Blossom - don't know it's latin name. It's a nice evergreen shrub with lovely white flowers. Comes in various shades of green from a yellowy colour to dark green. They've never even attempted to bite through a branch just 'because'!! I resort to putting wire around stuff I don't want them to eat - not that I try to grow much. I only have a small garden and with four bunnies and two dogs, it's really 'their' garden, not mine so I don't care that it looks a bit tatty! The neighbours garden wouldn't look out of place on 'gardener's world' and I'm sure they look over my fence and think 'oh dear'. Still, which would you prefer - a picture perfect, manicured lawn and flower beds, or bunnies binkying all over the place??????

Mine don't like Buddleia, and its safe. also Camelia, willow, choisia, rose bushes, cape fushia, lavender, bamboo and some various other shrubs I don't know the names of. :oops: I'm just going by what's in my garden that they haven't destroyed! :lol:

ETA: oh, and Ceanothus :)

Last edited:
Mine won't eat the lavender but will bite it off at the bottom then drag it onto the lawn a little way so I can see it then just leave it!
They also do the same with the tulips, my mum is going spare! :lol:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I now have a decent list to hit the garden centres with this weekend. Fingers crossed I am not just buying expensive rabbit food :lol:

Back