• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning routine

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
what do you do everyday/every other day/once a week trying to suss out the best way to do everything cleaning wise and also can the droppings/litter(megazorb) and used hay bedding go in the green lid bins meant for garden waste and cardboard or not?

Every day I clean out the bedroom/toilet area and sweep any loose droppings out of the hutch. The toilet area gets a spray and wipe if they've been peeing up the walls :roll:. (plus grab any snails and throw them into a flower bed!)

Every week I take out all the removable parts of the hutch and spray/wipe it all with disinfectant.

I clean the litter trays everyday which I would sugest to reduce the risk of flystrike and sweep the floor daily to. I clean them everyday as i find it better for me this way as it only takes 15mins and i know its done. I put my waste in the brown bin (garden) but i dont know if its ment to or not :oops:.

We empty litter trays every other day / when needed give a quick sweep up. Then about once a week everything comes out and gets disenfected.

what do you do everyday/every other day/once a week trying to suss out the best way to do everything cleaning wise and also can the droppings/litter(megazorb) and used hay bedding go in the green lid bins meant for garden waste and cardboard or not?

Yep can all go in the green bins :)

the council refuse to have animal waste in our green bin - it depends on your area really as some do I know. I dump it on the garden or bag it up and put it with the household rubbish - it makes great compost but I have more mess than garden :roll:

I clean the rabbits every week - Benny sometimes slightly over, the girls usually under - they do a huge amount of toileting on the patio though, which I sweep and disinfect daily.

They all have really huge litter trays - Benny has 2 all to himself, so he doesn't ever get dirty really, just overflowing with hay as he runs over to the patio drain the minute I let him out and rarely goes in his hutch at all now.

The 4 girls in the shed have 2 guinea pig cage bases, which are big enough to fit 3 rabbits in one of them. I put fresh hay at the front of the box twice a day, and they riffle through it all, shovel the uneaten stuff to the back, where it covers over the wee and poo nicely (use megazorb as a base) - boxes are usually overflowing with hay after 5 or 6 days though, and the floor gets in a mess with poops being kicked out, so I have a big clean up every 5 or 6 days in there.

I have never disinfected the floors as I think it's bad for their immune system to be too clean, but I wash the trays out with hot water and washing up liquid or sometimes disinfectant. If they pee on the floor, a bit of sawdust deodorises it, but it's rarely needed. I never clean food or water dishes either - just wipe them once a week with kitchen roll - in fact the girls eat off the floor as it avoids fighting.

As B wees more out of cage than in-yuk!Cage never that dirty.On a mon i tip straw/hay out and replace it,but every thurs i wash everything with white vinegar & boiling water that includes wire of her cage,dog basket,tunnels,pet carrier[she sleeps in that occasionally] and all her toys.

yes the council have said no to rabbit waste in our green bin too. :roll:
i poo pick and take the wet out daily and disinfect once a week.

I clean mine out every other day but would reduce this to daily in hot weather . Litter trays are all disinfected but I don't disinfect the floor, unless they've pee'd where they shouldn't have done!! Water bowls are changed daily, twice daily or hourly(!!) depending on how much moult fur is flying around - and that's a LOT at the moment lol.

I can put rabbit poo and hay/sawdust in my green garden waste bin but they don't want newspaper in it. They state 'no dog poo' but that's because they eat meat which is not compostable. Rabbit poo contains only plant matter so I would imagine you'll be OK with that. Probably best to phone your council and ask - they tend to say no animal waste because people would start chucking dog poo in the green bins. I have to bag all my dog poo and put it out with the normal household rubbish - which is a bit whiffy in the summer - let me tell you!!!!

I think Im in the same area as Clare, and Ive always put all my rabbit waste in there & its always been collected :)

I empty the smaller litter trays daily - there's about 6 of these for 15 buns. The bigger trays are mostly full of hay (4 of these), & not used as much. I empty these 2-4 times a week. All trays are spray-disinfected once a week. Floor is swept 2-4 times a week. Floor is disinfected once a month - but it's a big job cos everyone needs to be outside to allow floor to dry properly:D

I go to the tip weekly, but not a problem cos that's how I recycle all my plastic/paper/glass too:D

I empty litter trays twice daily and clean out properly once a week. I disinfect the floor once a week too. I sweep the runs out daily (on concrete) and disinfect once a week.

My soiled paper and Megazorb/carefresh goes to the tip once a week and the unsoiled hay goes in my brown garden waste bin.

My council allows the use of animal bedding to be used in the wheelie bins which is brilliant. I empty the litter trays everyday and disinfect them. The rest of the hutch is done once a week. My buns are very clean and don't toilet at all outside their litter trays so there's nothing to clean once the litter trays have been done. Every Saturday when the buns are in the garden I clean their hutches out completely and disinfect. I let the hutches air for a few hours before bedding down again. I've got into a nice routine with it now.

I have a little tidy up every day, sweep up stray poos etc. The (many) litter trays with Megazorb and hay get changed every 2-3 days (I'll probably do every 2 days in the hot weather). Hutch floor newspaper changed, hutches and runs swept and litter trays cleaned (pet-friendly disinfectant spray cleaner) twice weekly, including proper clean out at weekend where I'll use Virkon to wash the hutch floors and litter trays (use white vinegar to remove the urine stains) and hose down the runs. Claire

I clean out the buns litter trays every other day. When I'm home though they have freerange of the garden so do most of their poops & wee's on the grass.. I sweep out their shed everyday as since Cookie joined the group they aren't that good with their litter trays :roll:

Ours have a total change and disinfect every day, litter trays get emptied at least 3 times a day (am, mid afternoon and evening), runs get cleaned out and fresh hay put in between buns/pigs going in them. Hay gets topped up same time as the litter trays are emptied.

What type of disinfectant does everyone use for the floor of the shed, the patio/concrete and litter trays??

Back