• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do outdoor rabbits do when it's very cold?!

alx008

Warren Scout
Hi, still trying to decide on the best hutch to buy for my bunnies. At the moment they are in a smallish hutch at night and in a big run (with shelter) during the day.
I am going to buy a much bigger hutch for them but cannot decide between hutch with run attached or double decker whopper!
How do your bunnies cope in the winter? Obviously I want them to have lots of exercise and space but I am not sure they will appreciate their run when it's cold/raining. I might even put them in the shed if it's really cold. Also a run attached to the hutch would probably sit on concrete as we don't have grass next to the house...
I abroad up till now so this will be my first winter here with rabbits so not sure what to expect.

p.s. I found a cat sitting by their run this morning just watching the babies and sent my son out with his water-gun to shoot at it - was that bad of me?! :evil:

I have two Happy Hutch Run and hutch combo's, with one of them connected to a shed. They are great, BUT, If i was starting out again, I would buy something like this

A nice shed for them to keep cosy in over winter, and a decent sized run for them to play in whilst your are out. It would need ammending to have smaller rabbit sized/proof wire on the run rather than dog sized wire. If I bought one I would also ask them to customize it to have the full door made into a stable door, so you can lean in and change litter trays/fill food/water without them all escaping, and I would put lino on the floor of the shed myself to make cleaning easier.

Seems expensive but I would say it would be cheaper and easier to maintain things in the long term!

these are my hutches in the day - the shower curtain is permanently stapled over the top, as it's loose there's ventilation, plus through the ladder hole - and the roof opens which is really useful (happyhutch hutches - 2x5 is minimum size I'd go for)

cheekycow.jpg

and at night I cover them all over, even in summer, to put off predators - the rugs come up a bit in summer for ventilation, but as they're on concrete they are nice and cool on the run floor

nighthutches.jpg

and this is how I have them inside - there's another box upstairs - they are underbed storage boxes, and big enough for the rabbit to lie down in and keep warm and out of draughts in winter - really you need to worry more about them getting hot in summer, as that makes them very unhappy

box.jpg

Bunnies suffer more in the hot summer than a cold winter - they are more likely to die of heat stroke than from the cold

Back