• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to seperate my Rex?

sasha_108

Warren Scout
Hi, I am just after a bit of advise really.
My 2 Rex bunnys are 11 weeks old now, and I was wondering when would be the time I have to split them? They have been to the vets twice over the last couple of weeks for their vacs and the vet seems happy to do them at around 16 weeks but can I keep them together until then or is it too much of a risk? I can put a partition in their hutch, but the problem comes when we go away in June. We are away from the 13th-22nd and by that time they will both be 16 weeks. My mum will have them but I need to sort a hutch for her house first as mine is waaay too heavy to move, but I don't think I could ask her to keep more than a 5 ft hutch at her house permenently and thats too small to pertition. Ahh what to do! I could board them, but again same problem and it will cost a fortune.
Please help!

If they are both girls or both boys, you can leave them together until neuter/spay. If their hormones kick in, they may start to fight, so you'd have to separate then, but at 16 weeks, you might well be ok.

If they are boy/girl you need to be separating at 12 weeks.

They are boy and girl:cry: were supposed to be 2 girls, then we found out before we collected them that the were male and female. We already loved them so still took them, but its going to be hard work by the looks of things! I just didn't want to split them if it wasn't essential until the spay/neuter as they have always been together:cry:

They are boy and girl:cry: were supposed to be 2 girls, then we found out before we collected them that the were male and female. We already loved them so still took them, but its going to be hard work by the looks of things! I just didn't want to split them if it wasn't essential until the spay/neuter as they have always been together:cry:

If you boy bun has dropped boy-bits at 12 weeks, a rabbit savvy vet may be happy neutering him then. I know some Rescues who would then keep girl & boy bun together & get her spayed at 16 weeks.

If you do separate, keep them living close by. Rebonding shouldn't be too hard as soon as she's spayed:D

They would still be in the same hutch here but with a mesh partition, but its going away that will cause the problem, as they will have to go in seperate hutchs so I will either have to pay for 2 hutches at a boarding place or buy a double one for my mums. Either way they would be split up:cry:

i would also go for the get the boy neutered at 12 weeks and keep them together. Do make sure you have a rabit savvy vet and they will be fine.

I'm in Leicestershire, just off junction 23 of the M1. I use a vet in East leake with surgery in Ruddington for my other animals, but they said 6 months so I thought again!
I am using the new vets in my town of Shepshed for the bunnies. They charge £38 for males and £52 for females and she does seem good. Very interested in their welfare and she checked them both over before their vacs and told me why she was giving part of the myxi in their ear etc. She also recommended getting them both done and said she would be happy to do the surgery sometime between 16 weeks and 5 months for both of them. Strange though as when I rang to book the appointment for the vacs, the receptionist said she wouldn't do them until at least 6 months even males:?

If you PM Honeybunny on here - she's a Rescue based not far from you. They use a rabbit savvy vet & may point you in the direction of a good 'un:D

Back