• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think rabbits get lonely?

Dexter

New Kit
Just wondering if anyone thinks this? Does every rabbit need a mate? Or is okay to raise just one rabbit? I am very hands one with my rabbit - but tonight I noticed he likes to lay between my moccasins. (yes they are fur trimmed of some sort) - he not biting or being bad - but just likes to lay with them - and rub his face and chin on them. Does that mean he loves me? Or my shoes? Does he need another friend to play with and rub on? Or should I take his affection? HA.

Thanks.

Generally speaking Rabbits benefit from the company of their own species. However, if you are at home most of the time and your Bun has lots of interaction with you then his behaviour with your slippers is likely to be a sign of 'ownership and affection' rather than loneliness :)

If you are out at work all day then maybe your Bun is a bit lonely and would benefit from the company of another Bun. But if you are with him most of the time I'd say you have been made an honary Bunny!! :lol:

Janex

I'd echo what Jack's-Jane has said! My rabbit is probably lonely as I work all day but still try to spend lots of time with him in the evenings and early mornings. He loves me and I certainly love him to pieces! Everyone thinks he is the most loved bun in the world. :lol: I can't get another one - space and money etc.

I think it varies - I doubt indoor bunnies get lonely if they spend a lot of time out with their owners, because during the daytime when owners are out, all rabbits tend to snooze and much hay anyway.

outdoor rabbits though - I think it depends on the rabbit. I did get the feeling that Maa was lonely, because she was very affectionate to me, and obviously I couldn't sit outside for long. Nothing in her behaviour - just a feeling I got from her. I think Tia might have felt less timid with a partner too - but she bit the other rabbits so that was a non-starter - I didn't want to risk bonding after Benny bit her face.

Benny though seems perfectly happy alone - he was never very sociable even when bonded with his brother - Pepsi was the affectionate one and Benny didn't even seem interested in his own brother, and resisted attempts at bonding after Pepsi died - he really seems a very happy chap - binkies every day and I watch him through the window and he just seems happy pottering about etc. :)

I think I do pick up how my animals feel though.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm with elve. I think that a house rabbit with lots of attention is probably OK on its own (but if you are out a lot, you should probably get another bunny).

I think outdoor bunnies really do need a friend because they must get lonely otherwise.

i think alvin was ok when we first got him.. not hugely sociable but he had human contact for atleast 18 hours a day when ste didnt have a job...i was almost hoping he wouldnt bond so then id be right and Alvin didnt need a bunwife... but he loves his woman and i guess he was lonely for rabbit company after all.

now i know 100% even tho the buns are let out for most of the day and night Alvin or Pearl will never be lonely :D:D:D

and i get two buns to adore.. cant be better than that :lol::lol:

Back