• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick question about finding a rescue rabbit

Do you ever have babies up for adoption? And how fussy can you be when looking for your rescue bun? I'm ideally hoping for a small breed and quite a young bunny, but is this unrealistic? There also seem to be hardly any in London compared to elsewhere! Puzzling! Thanks for any advice

Do you ever have babies up for adoption?
ARC frequently has babies in to their rescue. 3 of the 4 ARC bunnies I have rehomed today were 14 weeks old.

And how fussy can you be when looking for your rescue bun?
Rescues want people to be happy with the rabbits that they choose to be rehomed, they also want the needs of the rabbit to be able to be fulfilled by their new owners

I'm ideally hoping for a small breed and quite a young bunny, but is this unrealistic? The 3 young boys who went out to new homes today were all lionheads which are not large breeds.
Not unrealistic at all

There also seem to be hardly any in London compared to elsewhere!
:shock:ARC is amongst a number of rescues in the London area, there are more rescues in greater London than in central London.

Lots of rescues tend to put rabbits up for adoption after they have been neutered, mainly because you can't bank on the new owners actually getting the neutering done, and one accidental litter from your new rabbit could wipe out so much of the good work in rescuing/neutering etc.

The bonus of having a slightly older rabbit (4-6 months) from a rescue though is that it will be neutered already, and probably vaccinated too, post-neuter you will be able to determine its personality (that cute little babies could become a very stroppy adult, even after neutering!), it will have been health checked, and you could even get it a bonded partner from the rescue at the same time.

I wouldn't have thought you would have to travel too far out of London before you find a rescue - what about your local RSPCA? Or call your local vets to see if they know of any rescues local to you (some are small and don't advertise)

Good luck in your hunt!

My local rescue usually have quite a lot of mothers and babies. They have a few at the moment but it is too far from you.

Thanks so much for all the replies, it's really helpful. I am definately going to get in touch with ARC, it's all very exciting.
Basically, i'm not adverse to an older bunny at all - I guess its just that I have such great memories of my last bunnie who I had from a very young age and who I formed such a great bond with that she was never happier than when snuggled on my chest like a little baby! I think this also explains why I am so keen on small rabbits as she was a netherland dwarf and just so beautiful!
Oh dear, how boring am I!? Thing is, I've been looking into getting my buns now for so long I have almost built it up to so much that I'm a bit scared to take the final plunge and get the bunnies in case I do something wrong. I want to be the best owner I can be :)

Not sure where in London you are, but can I suggest GBH in south east London (Beckenham area). They have been great for us and even pair bonded our bunny with another for us. Run by Jackie on 020 8658 5452.

Back